[SOLVED] Need help fixing wiring of power button

Oct 12, 2019
I have a push button type of power button. Over the years, I think the wiring inside the switch has become lose.

Over time, it takes more and more pressure to get it to switch on. Eventually, it stops altogether.
If I open the case and push the two wires on the button up "into" the glued part, put everything back, and try again, it works perfectly. For a couple of months at least. But slowly the problem reoccurs.

As you can imagine, I'm tired of having to remove the power button every couple of months, push the wires in, and try again. I want to fix this problem once and for all, but have no idea where to start.

I'd appreciate any advice or links on how to solve this loose wiring issue of my power button.

Images for reference:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/y4QQONp

(If this is the wrong forum, please guide me to the correct one. I didn't know which place was best.)

How do I remove the glue without damaging whatever is underneath it?

I'm also not sure what the underneath should look like, so I'm concerned that even once I remove the old glue, I won't know what to do with the wires.
Glue could be removed with heat, a match or a lighter would be enough. Those push button switches are just a momentary normally open switch (like doorbell), no polarity so you cant mix the wires or contacts.

Oct 12, 2019
Glue could be removed with heat, a match or a lighter would be enough. Those push button switches are just a momentary normally open switch (like doorbell), no polarity so you cant mix the wires or contacts.

Is it safe to use fire that close to the wires and plastic?

How does a push switch like this even work? Even after I remove the glue, I don't know what to do so that this doesn't happen again.

This morning the computer wouldn't turn on again and it took about 10 minutes of fiddling with the position of the wires inside to finally get it to work.

I use my PC for work so I need a permanent fix, but I also don't want to screw up something vital inside.

Is it safe to use fire that close to the wires and plastic?

How does a push switch like this even work? Even after I remove the glue, I don't know what to do so that this doesn't happen again.

This morning the computer wouldn't turn on again and it took about 10 minutes of fiddling with the position of the wires inside to finally get it to work.

I use my PC for work so I need a permanent fix, but I also don't want to screw up something vital inside.
Don't put flame directly, just under it, could use hair drying fan too (forgot about it cause I',m bold). As I said before, that push button switch has only 2 normally open contacts, most elementary switch ever !!! Nothing complicated and no polarity, just like your ordinary door bell. Just shorts two wires together while it's pushed.
What the heck do they teach i schools nowadays ?

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Good old hot glue. Push them back in nice and firmly like before, hot glue it in place. If it's just a problem with the contact point moving, that should solve it. If it's a conductivity issue, you might just need a new switch, or to clean the contact.

Oct 12, 2019
So I removed the glue from the switch and discovered underneath that was plastic casing that I have no idea how to remove. The wires just go into that, but one of the wires appears to be sticking out more than the other. I think it could be culprit.

Anyway, I tried pushing the wires back in and pressing the switch, but unless I press it just right and fiddle with it a while, it won't turn on.

Because I can see inside the plastic casing of the switch or figure out how to remove it, I'm going to just get an entirely new switch and attach it to the motherboard in place of the old one.

Can I remove just the power connectors from the current switch and keep the HD LED ones etc, and then just connect the POWER SW with the new switch?

I can't find the same switch that my computer currently uses. I got the case from NZXT, so I've contacted them and going to wait for a reply. I don't know whether they'll help or how much it will cost to get the same switch from them. In that case, I'll just buy a cheap one from Amazon. I don't know if I'll be able to use it in my current case, but I can probably figure out some way to attach it.

So I removed the glue from the switch and discovered underneath that was plastic casing that I have no idea how to remove. The wires just go into that, but one of the wires appears to be sticking out more than the other. I think it could be culprit.

Anyway, I tried pushing the wires back in and pressing the switch, but unless I press it just right and fiddle with it a while, it won't turn on.

Because I can see inside the plastic casing of the switch or figure out how to remove it, I'm going to just get an entirely new switch and attach it to the motherboard in place of the old one.

Can I remove just the power connectors from the current switch and keep the HD LED ones etc, and then just connect the POWER SW with the new switch?

I can't find the same switch that my computer currently uses. I got the case from NZXT, so I've contacted them and going to wait for a reply. I don't know whether they'll help or how much it will cost to get the same switch from them. In that case, I'll just buy a cheap one from Amazon. I don't know if I'll be able to use it in my current case, but I can probably figure out some way to attach it.
There should be couple of tabs on that black part and you can spread them a bit so switch body ca fall out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-C...323053?hash=item23bb5d82ad:g:-9cAAOSw7E5cxSJx

or you can go full custom https://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Desktop...375484?hash=item23c524c07c:g:qikAAOSwoeddcD5X