[SOLVED] Need Help Flashing vbios of Miner GPU

Kennyjj

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020
So recently I bought an rx 470 from ebay and now I need to flash the vbios for gaming. I understand the whole process with ati flash and loading the rom file of the new vbios to flash it but my problem seems a bit uncommon. The Rom file saves in notepad and from the youtube vids i watch the rom file is normally saved as a blank page icon. So when I go to flash it doesnt work.

Solution
The ROM file should be ".rom" and not ".txt" or whatever. If the ROM is from Techpowerup's database, you can probably just change the file extension from whatever it is (.txt?) to ".rom" and proceed.

Either that, or you've assigned notepad to be the program to open .rom files, which doesn't matter... and your issue isn't the fact that things are opening in notepad, your flash is failing for some other reason.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The ROM file should be ".rom" and not ".txt" or whatever. If the ROM is from Techpowerup's database, you can probably just change the file extension from whatever it is (.txt?) to ".rom" and proceed.

Either that, or you've assigned notepad to be the program to open .rom files, which doesn't matter... and your issue isn't the fact that things are opening in notepad, your flash is failing for some other reason.

Solution

Kennyjj

Prominent
Jan 6, 2020

Makes sense, I get an error that says subsystemIDS mismatch i thought it was from the fact it was in text

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Makes sense, I get an error that says subsystemIDS mismatch i thought it was from the fact it was in text

More likely to be the fact the card has a mining BIOS and you're flashing an 'updated' vBIOS to it, you're looking to flash an entirely different vBIOS, as far as the card/program is concerned.

While you can brute force through a flash, you do have to be 100% certain you're forcing the correct BIOS for the card in question.

As TJ asked... what specific model of RX470 do you have? And what vBIOS are you attempting to flash on it?