Need help for a Wireless Extender

Hey There,
I am pretty noobish around Wireless stuff so decided to ask around. I have a WiFi speed of roughly 980 mbps down and 880 up. However, the router and modem are in a room away, and I cannot run an ethernet cable across. There are a lot of walls around so the WiFi connection gets pretty weak too.

So I was looking for a Wireless Extender that will help me keep a good speed. I am happy with a speed of 100 to 200 mbps too even if it means that the speed has been reduced but is constant.

AFAIK, there is something called a Powerline adapter, which I think is a sort of WiFi Extender? If so, could you recommend one with a maximum speed of 1 gbps or above, or give an alternate option? Main usage will be for gaming and stuff.

Solution
Powerline adapters are the way to go mate, I started using a pair last month for my smartTV instead of using WiFi/WiFi extender. No setup required at either end (or on TV), minimal speed loss, much more reliable than WiFi.

That's the way to go if you need to reach more rooms (as long as the device has a LAN port, so realistically that means a desktop or laptop PC, or a smart telly).

vmfantom

Notable
Nov 28, 2017
980/880 would be abnormally high for any current 802.11ac wifi router to reach as actual throughput, as opposed to the Phy rate/link rate. Which router model do you have?

The best extender for overall throughput seems to be Orbi, but it wouldn't rehome your devices automatically, so your router may need to support dropping sessions below a threshold signal strength and move them from the Orbi to the main router, or vice versa.

Some powerline adapters can clone your wifi settings, but would still be creating a duplicate SSID and in-band interference, and they may not work with split phase circuit breaker boxes.

Do you have an coaxial cable outlets between those rooms?

I recall hitting those speeds on speedtest.net when my main PC was hardwired in to the router. If it boots up, I will post a screenshot. Not too sure on the model of my router as it was provided by the ISP, StarHub in Singapore.

Sorry that this is noobish, but what are coaxial cable outlets.

I currently have a TP-Link model Wireless Extender but whenever I plug that in I hit a maximum of 5 mbps wherever I am.

vmfantom

Notable
Nov 28, 2017

So the 980/880 was not the wifi throughput, but the wired throughput. Range extenders will general cut wifi throughput by 50% or more, so you'd need to test your wifi throughput to see whether halving the throughput might still allow for 100 Mbps.

This is a cable outlet. MoCA or WoCA would be other options if you know how the cabling runs in your apartment are wired and can access the wiring closet.
0525416_L.jpg

Powerline adapters are the way to go mate, I started using a pair last month for my smartTV instead of using WiFi/WiFi extender. No setup required at either end (or on TV), minimal speed loss, much more reliable than WiFi.

That's the way to go if you need to reach more rooms (as long as the device has a LAN port, so realistically that means a desktop or laptop PC, or a smart telly).

Solution

Yea this is all behind a lot of stuff that I can't move right now, but if I recall correctly it was something like what you have posted.

Yea that is what I was thinking. Thing is I have a pair that really reduced the speed, to something like 4 mbps through WiFi and had a limit of 300 Mbps. So I was looking for one with a maximum near 1 gbps and is pretty well rated.