TigerKingX

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
after manually restarting computer (from cabinet restart button), then HDD (WD 2tb hdd, not in warranty) not showed up in boot menu. (it showed blank space in the boot order) (using gigabyte 250m d3h)
I installed windows 10 on other hard disk and tried different things
Need help.

I checked in Device manager.. it shows unknown device

1.png

after that I checked disk management setting, disk was not initialized. I searched online for different solution to fix it without data loss.
but unable to find solution. I tried different software like Acronis Disk Director, AOMEI Partition Assistant, EaseUS Partition Master, MiniTool Partition Wizard..
none of them was successful for rebuilding mbr or initializing disk.

then i tried initializing from disk management it self

2.png

I got this error "a device which does not exist was specified"
I tried initializing with GPT and MBR both.. not worked..

3.png

I tried to chkdsk from command prompt but not succeed.
Also diskpart showing "0 size" and "0 free" and status as "online"

4.png

please help needed asap..

Solution
Your harddrive was already dead then.
Reset does not kill the power which can cause the heads to crash/hit the platters and cause the damage.
Reset merely tells the CPU to begin the startup/boot process again.

Reset can cause data corruption if the drive was in the middle of writing and suddenly the CPUstops sending the rest of it because its booting up again.

Reset also does not normally wipe the memory. Investigators/police & hackers used to do this and then see what was there and maybe gain access to sensitive data or an encrypted drive.

TigerKingX

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
I think it was firmware problem head damaged. Try to take this hdd out the connect again.
1, check spin condition. Does it clicking?
2, keep it power on. Wait 2 min and check again. It keep spin?
1. No clicking sound. Different sound like scratching. Not continuous.
Check recording here, sorry for background noise
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1w0jtZ5LBAj
2. After connecting only that damaged hard drive, on monitor i see Reboot and select proper boot device.
And sound like scratching from hdd.. recording uploaded above site.

Lunarcy

Reputable
Sep 4, 2016
I am having the same issue as this... same drive and exactly the same problem but without the clicking. Windows sometimes launches slowly (taking 40-60 seconds to open) or it starts with the drive startup repair on the drive. I don't believe my drive is dead as I can sometimes access the drive itself and the files on it. I have tried swapping out the power/sata cable for the drive and it sometimes fixed it for a short while. Then afterwards the drive disappears and reappears intermittently upon each time I restart my PC. Sometimes I have full access to the drive where I can access files, other times file locations are said to be unspecified and unopenable. The drive is 2.5 years old and I was wondering if I should get a replacement for it if it is an age issue? (I don't want to lose the data before I can transfer the data though)

Reactions: TigerKingX
I am having the same issue as this... same drive and exactly the same problem but without the clicking. Windows sometimes launches slowly (taking 40-60 seconds to open) or it starts with the drive startup repair on the drive. I don't believe my drive is dead as I can sometimes access the drive itself and the files on it. I have tried swapping out the power/sata cable for the drive and it sometimes fixed it for a short while. Then afterwards the drive disappears and reappears intermittently upon each time I restart my PC. Sometimes I have full access to the drive where I can access files, other times file locations are said to be unspecified and unopenable. The drive is 2.5 years old and I was wondering if I should get a replacement for it if it is an age issue? (I don't want to lose the data before I can transfer the data though)
from your writing, youre lucky that its still running, back up than replace your drive

popatim

Titan
Just to add, use the Reset button instead of the power button whenever you can. This will reboot the pc without killing the power to the HDD and saving you from a possible head crash which can ruin the drive.

Unfortunately, not all pc's have a reset button these days.

TigerKingX

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2013
Just to add, use the Reset button instead of the power button whenever you can. This will reboot the pc without killing the power to the HDD and saving you from a possible head crash which can ruin the drive.

Unfortunately, not all pc's have a reset button these days.
My computer have reset button (i call it restart)..
But that button gave quick death to hdd.
I think at that time computer was hanged, not many background activities were going on.. only firefox browser with 1 tab open and Google drive back-up software and i was installing Rockstar games launcher.. and got stuck when cancelled. waited for 15 min and then decided to restart.
Pressed that reset (restart) button on cpu..
Then Hdd died.. :(

popatim

Titan
Your harddrive was already dead then.
Reset does not kill the power which can cause the heads to crash/hit the platters and cause the damage.
Reset merely tells the CPU to begin the startup/boot process again.

Reset can cause data corruption if the drive was in the middle of writing and suddenly the CPUstops sending the rest of it because its booting up again.

Reset also does not normally wipe the memory. Investigators/police & hackers used to do this and then see what was there and maybe gain access to sensitive data or an encrypted drive.

Solution