Need Help for Streaming

Apr 13, 2018
Hello. I’m trying to become a Twitch/YouTube Streamer. I have a couple of issues that I’d like help with. First of all, I have a PC with AMD FX6300 and Radeon RX 560 Graphics. I am using OBS with AMD encoder, 2000 bitrate, and 59.94 FPS. Now whenever I try to stream Fortnite, I tend to receive major ping spikes in game. I already made threads about this elsewhere where someone told me this is due to me not being connected to my Wifi via Ethernet. My router is R7000 Nighthawk with C700 Modem. Both NETGEAR. My ISP is Comcast. In my house, the bottom floor is the only location of the ISP cable. This led me to need a wifi adapter since my PC is located on the second floor directly above it. My wifi is used by family members, but all of their devices are on the 2.4 GHz channel whereas I am on the 5 GHz. Basically, I’d like to know how I can stream without any issues without having to move the Modem/Router or Pc. If possible, I’d like to know if I could get another router and connect it wirelessly to either the router/Modem downstairs and use router #2 as my Ethernet. Any thoughts?

Solution
A powerline adapter is not a bad solution, but it is still subject to certain restrictions. For example I used to use one at a building I lived in a while ago, however that building then received a bit of maintenance and the installation of an RCD device that dampened the powerline adapters signal strength on the power line. Things like a hoover being used near it have been known to cause some interference too in some circumstances. The best results are also to be had if you use a powerline adapter pair on the same circuit as well.

Asides from that, I think you should test the connectivity directly before investing in a powerline adapter pair. The reason is basically so that you can test the router with a direct connection. You could...

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Hello there!

What resolution are you trying to broadcast/stream the higher the resolution the more data you are going to compress and the harder your CPU will need to work. Are you using the same computer to stream and play games? Do you also use a webcam connected to the same system for streaming? It is possible that the FX6300 CPU may simply be doing too much work if you are gaming and streaming from the same system. In addition to this it is also possible that you are experiencing some latency due to background signal noise/loss with the WiFi connection. The best way to test for this is to simply run an ethernet cable from the network port of your PC directly to the router. This is the best possible connection method for streaming since it eliminates WiFi/radio noise from the equation.

A second test would be to try from a more powerful computer, just simply for testing purposes if one is available.

Apr 13, 2018
It is not the PC itself since nothing exceeds 80% usage. I do stream from the same Pc in which I game but that will soon change over the summer. It is definitely the WiFi itself and I am wondering if I can use a PowerLine adapter instead.

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
A powerline adapter is not a bad solution, but it is still subject to certain restrictions. For example I used to use one at a building I lived in a while ago, however that building then received a bit of maintenance and the installation of an RCD device that dampened the powerline adapters signal strength on the power line. Things like a hoover being used near it have been known to cause some interference too in some circumstances. The best results are also to be had if you use a powerline adapter pair on the same circuit as well.

Asides from that, I think you should test the connectivity directly before investing in a powerline adapter pair. The reason is basically so that you can test the router with a direct connection. You could then be in a position to try powerline connections and see if they can get around your problem in a tidier manner.

It's basically try a direct connection first, see if that works, t because if it does you definitely know the source of the problem. :)

Solution