Need help for wireless router / internet

Hi!
I have a question:
I have a desktop cpu with a PCI DLS modem (internal) and an Ethernet
card. I just bought a Laptop with a wireless card and a D-LINK (DI-624)
wireless router. I was wondering how can I set-up my wireless router so
it could get the internet connexion from my desktop. Hope it's
clear...
Thanx

--
MONIK

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:55:56 GMT, MONIK
<MONIK.18j7dn@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

>I have a desktop cpu with a PCI DLS modem (internal) and an Ethernet
>card. I just bought a Laptop with a wireless card and a D-LINK (DI-624)
>wireless router. I was wondering how can I set-up my wireless router so
>it could get the internet connexion from my desktop. Hope it's
>clear...

Yech. I suggest you remove your PCI DSL internal modem and offer it
as sacrifice to the computer gods. This will elevate your karma index
and improve your wireless signal.

In place of the PCI DSL internal abomination, purchase an external DSL
ethernet bridge/modem. Typical prices on eBay are about $30-$50.
Popular models are Alcatel Speed Touch Home, Efficient 5260, 5360,
etc. Assuming your unspecified service provider does ADSL, anything
that does ADSL DMT will work. Do *NOT* buy a DSL router, a CAM modem,
USB ADSL modem, or an SDSL modem. Double check with your ISP to make
sure you're not using SDSL or something odd.

I'll assume that your unspecified desktop machine has an ethernet
card. If not, find a cheap 10/100 ethernet card and shove it into the
slot where you extracted the PCI DSL interneal modem.

Depending upon your unspecified service provider, you may need (or
want) to remove the software they provided for PPPoE or whatever
"enhancements" they burdend your machine with. If you've enabled ICS
(Internet Connection Swearing), you won't need it so disable the
monster.

Plug your PC ethernet port into one of the 4ea LAN ports on the
DI-624. Setup your PC internet connection to get its IP address,
gateway, and DNS via DHCP from the DLink DI-624 router. Plug the
ethernet port on the ADSL modem/bridge into the WAN port of your Dlink
DI-624. Configure the first page of the web based setup for your DSL
connection type, login, IP's, and whatever else is required. You're
done. Browse away merrily.

After you get your desktop working, then tinker with the laptop.

150 Felker St #D 831-336-2558
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS

MONIK <MONIK.18j7dn@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in

> Hi!
> I have a question:
> I have a desktop cpu with a PCI DLS modem (internal) and an Ethernet
> card. I just bought a Laptop with a wireless card and a D-LINK (DI-624)
> wireless router. I was wondering how can I set-up my wireless router so
> it could get the internet connexion from my desktop. Hope it's
> clear...
> Thanx

You got a D-link router that has Ethernet ports in the back do you not?

You take a CAT 5 cable that has an RJ45 jack and plug it into the router
and into the Ethernet card. Your computer's is NIC Ethernet properties
are most likely set to obtain as DHCP IP from the router which should
make the connection.

If you have a broad band cable connection, then you may have to have the
router's MAC provisioned with the ISP so that it sees the router.

It's not that hard. The router is the gateway device for the wired and
wireless WAN (Internet) and LAN (Local Area Network) not the computer
anymore.

The link also has other home networking topics.

Security is a must.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1428&page=5

Duane :)