[SOLVED] Need help for workstation build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpaul1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Hi there, i need to build a workstation, which will be dedicated to game development (game engine, blender..) as always with that kind of question, it takes ages to find out what is best. So i thought i could get a few help here
my actual rig is a 7700, 16 gigs ddr4, 1070 8092. it's overall a pretty good rig, but when it comes to shader compiling, and game engine builts, my cpu starts to suffocate. generally it does the job, but it takes definitely too much time
so after having browsed around a bit, i decided to go for a 3900X, which should increase the power by something like 300%, while remaining price friendly. so i need all the rest. i'll keep my actual rig for testing. but i'll take few parts like the gpu, and few ram from my it to reduce the cost. so, i need:

• motherboad (no gaming. only work)
  • a 120 Go SSD for OS
  • a 500 Go SSD for crucial programs
  • a 1660 gpu to replace my 1070 on my testing rig
  • 16 Gigs DDR4. i'll test first. if it's not enough, i'll but a few more
  • a case. preferably large. always better for cleaning, or simply install modern GPUs
  • eventually an better CPU cooling system. this is why i post among other things. i have no clue if a 3900X gets hot, or not

so i need you thoughts. this is a rig for work only. no gaming. so only the essential. also i said i think the 3900X is a great choice, but i'm still open to any debate

Solution
The GTX1660 isn't as strong as a GTX1070. A 1660Ti is pretty much directly equivalent.

"No budget limit" is pretty courageous. Everyone's got a limit, but, trying to keep things reasonable:
Assuming a GPU with ray tracing capability is preferable for future game development. Otherwise a 5700XT would be nearly as fast as a 2070 Super while saving a bunch of money and being AMD for future console games.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (€504.99 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€139.08 @ Cdiscount)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (€289.89 @ Amazon France)
Memory:...

jpaul1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Hi guys, it's me again. my problem being directly linked to the same rig i won't create a new thread. so as i said my rig works great with Unreal engine. but i have a big problem right now. I won't go into details, but i need to convert my map of the game into a more recent game engine version. the thing is the map is big, really big. so the 32 gig aren't enough. i tried the conversion but after two days, the convertion got kinda stuck. so i'm gonna try with 128 gig. i'm not even sure 128 gig will be enough to be honest. but i have to try. because if it works i could save months of work. the thing is i don't know which ram i should go for. there are 3200 MHz with very good reviews (corsair dominator) , CL18 (g.skill), 4000 MHz, apparently no CL16 out there? so i need advice for a 128 gig ram set up. my rig is the same X570-pro, 3900x, and 2060. purchasing from France

Thanks