[SOLVED] Need help for workstation build

jpaul1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Hi there, i need to build a workstation, which will be dedicated to game development (game engine, blender..) as always with that kind of question, it takes ages to find out what is best. So i thought i could get a few help here
my actual rig is a 7700, 16 gigs ddr4, 1070 8092. it's overall a pretty good rig, but when it comes to shader compiling, and game engine builts, my cpu starts to suffocate. generally it does the job, but it takes definitely too much time
so after having browsed around a bit, i decided to go for a 3900X, which should increase the power by something like 300%, while remaining price friendly. so i need all the rest. i'll keep my actual rig for testing. but i'll take few parts like the gpu, and few ram from my it to reduce the cost. so, i need:

• motherboad (no gaming. only work)
  • a 120 Go SSD for OS
  • a 500 Go SSD for crucial programs
  • a 1660 gpu to replace my 1070 on my testing rig
  • 16 Gigs DDR4. i'll test first. if it's not enough, i'll but a few more
  • a case. preferably large. always better for cleaning, or simply install modern GPUs
  • eventually an better CPU cooling system. this is why i post among other things. i have no clue if a 3900X gets hot, or not

so i need you thoughts. this is a rig for work only. no gaming. so only the essential. also i said i think the 3900X is a great choice, but i'm still open to any debate

Solution
The GTX1660 isn't as strong as a GTX1070. A 1660Ti is pretty much directly equivalent.

"No budget limit" is pretty courageous. Everyone's got a limit, but, trying to keep things reasonable:
Assuming a GPU with ray tracing capability is preferable for future game development. Otherwise a 5700XT would be nearly as fast as a 2070 Super while saving a bunch of money and being AMD for future console games.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (€504.99 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€139.08 @ Cdiscount)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (€289.89 @ Amazon France)
Memory:...
D

Deleted member 14196

I recommend the AMD 3950 X and all the good parts that Should go with it. You are going to need a lot of Cores/threads and a lot of IPC

I deal with software development for a living and I know the AMD processors can compile like a mafk

In fact we only use AMD processor’s and have for the past several decades because intel can’t cut it. They are way too expensive and not worth it with lackluster performance in the real world

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpaul1
I recommend the AMD 3950 X and all the good parts that Should go with it. You are going to need a lot of Cores/threads and a lot of IPC

I deal with software development for a living and I know the AMD processors can compile like a mafk

In fact we only use AMD processor’s and have for the past several decades because intel can’t cut it. They are way too expensive and not worth it with lackluster performance in the real world

Maybe 1 decade. With 2 decades you're in the Athlon 64 with Windows XP time. Not a good time for AMD.

Reactions: ben7
The GTX1660 isn't as strong as a GTX1070. A 1660Ti is pretty much directly equivalent.

"No budget limit" is pretty courageous. Everyone's got a limit, but, trying to keep things reasonable:
Assuming a GPU with ray tracing capability is preferable for future game development. Otherwise a 5700XT would be nearly as fast as a 2070 Super while saving a bunch of money and being AMD for future console games.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor (€504.99 @ Amazon France)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€139.08 @ Cdiscount)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (€289.89 @ Amazon France)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (€189.88 @ Alternate)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€182.40 @ Amazon France)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (€614.99 @ Amazon France)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (€102.88 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€134.88 @ Alternate)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-12 (White) 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (€16.86 @ Amazon France)
Case Fan: Fractal Design X2 GP-12 (White) 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan (€16.86 @ Amazon France)
Total: €2192.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-24 18:01 CEST+0200

Last edited:
Solution

jpaul1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
yeah i considered the 3960X. but when you're a game developer you need to keep something in mind. if you go overconfident with the hardware, then comes the risk you release a game that is unplayable for most of the customers. you go overconfident you create, and create, and add things. and when you come to the end, you face (sorry bad key) huge problems. because you realize your product won't run on an average rig. so i want to boost my workflow, but still keeping something not far away from average gamer PC

@tennis2: thx a lot will dig this seriously (y)

Last edited:
**I'm not a game developer

I think there's a difference between the system you do your work on that allows you to work quickly and efficiently and the one(s) that you test game play-ability (code optimization) with.

You're not doing yourself any favors by limiting your ability to work quickly. You can always turn CPU cores off and/or downclock your CPU to match a lower spec system. You can downclock GPU and RAM also.

I should add that it may be preferable to KEEP your GTX1070 for now, and buy one of AMDs Navi 2 GPUs when they launch at the end of this year since that's what's going to be in the Xbox and PS when they release in September-ish. Navi 2 supports hardware-level ray tracing also.

jpaul1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
as i came across good prices this evening, i decided to go for it. got a 3900X, a MSI X570 Pro (which is a carbon without SSD fans), and a Crucial SSD MX500 1 To for less than 800€. i'll take all the rest from my old rig. and sell the proc with the motherboard for easy 200€. this makes my new 12 cores rig for only 600€, which i think is a very good thing
the 3950X is not enough gain to justify the extra 300€. and as i said the 3960, or even the 3990 (x) are not justified. nor appropriate in my case
@tennis2: yeah if you are into an enterprise you can have a dude testing, and paid for it. but if you're an indie dev like me, starting, and alone, you need to think for 2 ^^

Thanks guys.

I think so:
  • all mount points on the motherboard should have a standoff on the case.
  • standoffs that don't align with a mount point on the motherboard should be removed, particularly those standoffs in the 'keep out zone(s)' marked on the motherboard.

In other words, there should be a 1-to-1 relationship between mount points on the motherboard and standoffs on the case.

Reactions: tennis2

jpaul1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Hi, so the result is pretty good. the CPU still goes under 100% load, but the times have been reduced a lot. so i'm satisfied. it still goes 100%, but on another hand, if not then stuff like the 3990X wouldn't exist :LOL:
the temps are very good. coupled to a H100x, i go from 30 to 50°C, and rarely exceed 60. even on heavy load. You need to be sure you have a huge case though. i thought mine was huge (50x43x21 cm), but i had to make some tweaks, and install the radiator vents on the top. which is not a bad thing though (as i grab cooler air). and for those who say the Corsair vents are noisy, you can easily make them noiseless, by tweaking the Bios
so i came here because i have a doubt concerning my RAM. i want to upgrade to 32 gig, but i need to know if i keep my actual RAM, or if i go for a totally knew set up. is this good

and this is the pics of the install

and one last question, is my Lepa gold 800W enough (just to be sure)

You have a major problem right now. You have a 3900X but you are running 2133MHz RAM. That is pretty much shooting the 3900X in the knee with a shotgun for the performance.

You need 3200/3600MHz RAM.

What is your actual RAM? Did you forget to turn on the A-XMP profile in the BIOS?

Your fan on the top is bothering me greatly. :)

Last edited:

jpaul1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
the Bios says X-AMP not supported. the memory is some old memory i bought fast at the shop seller, when he mounted my 1st rig. i have no clue if it's good or not. it was some time ago ago

What do you think. i should sell it, and buy a good 32 gigs set up, right

jpaul1

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
the improvement is huge. the proc is much more efficient in heavy tasks. the mem perf has been improved by 75%. things that usually took dozens of minutes before, now execute in seconds. probably my best money spent of the year 😀

the improvement is huge. the proc is much more efficient in heavy tasks. the mem perf has been improved by 75%. things that usually took dozens of minutes before, now execute in seconds. probably my best money spent of the year 😀

Yeah that 2133MHz was pretty much taking a shotgun to your 3900X knees :) I'm happy you find the new RAM working good. You should be able to see a nice difference in snappiness and fps in game. Have fun! :D