Need help formatting/installing a new SSD & HD in my laptop?

CeruleanStarr23

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I have a new laptop but I don't like the current HD that is installed (very few choices on that build). It's a 1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD w/ Intel Smart Response. I would like to replace it with a 128GB Samung 830 Series 2.5" SSD and a Western Digital Scorpio Black 750GB 7200rpm HD (*Not trying to be rude but I am on a strict budget and the ones I chose are on sale so unless you can find something better for less please don't suggest another SSD or HD). What I need to know is do I have to RAID the drives or can I just use them as is?

I want the SSD to be the primary (boot up, apps, etc) and use the HD as storage for pics, vids, music, and documents. I do plan on playing some games like the Sims and Diablo 3 and running MS Home and Student. Also, if I do this, what is a good program to use to image (is that the right term?)/copy exactly the installed hd to the new ones?

Thanks so much for any info you guys can provide me!

SPECS:
3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3610QM processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.3 GHZ)
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD w/ Intel Smart Response - *Don't want to use
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M GDDR5 2GB

Solution
I think going with the SSD (128 GB) as you boot drive and the WD drive for storage is your best bet. You were right in that the 5400 rpm drive is too slow and really should not be used unless you use it as an external drive for backup purposes. I could be mistaken but I don't think you need to RAID the drives.
Have you checked the Samsung site to see if there is any disc cloning software available? I just checked the site (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7PC064D/AM) and Norton Ghost is available for download as well as the user manual. I have done what you are trying to do and it's easier than it appears.

mrscruffy

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Just pointing this out: You want to replace the HDD slot with the Scorpio Black? And the 32GB mSATA SDD with the 2.5" Samsung 830? You can't swap a mSATA SDD slot with a 2.5" slot... you need to buy another mSATA compatible SDD.

Also, I would just suggest using recovery disks to transfer your data and such.

CeruleanStarr23

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Thanks so much for replying kenrivers and mrscruffy!

@kenrivers, I am narrowing down the cloning software, and from what you've told me and what I've researched, I think I will be just fine doing the hhd clone.

@mrscruffy, I have two SATA slots in my notebook and the SSD I chose has a notebook kit to satisfy SATA - SATA III, so that's not really my issue. But that is definitely my fault for not mentioning that.

Do you guys think my current set up is good or is the set up I want a better option?

I think going with the SSD (128 GB) as you boot drive and the WD drive for storage is your best bet. You were right in that the 5400 rpm drive is too slow and really should not be used unless you use it as an external drive for backup purposes. I could be mistaken but I don't think you need to RAID the drives.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS