Need help getting mSata SSD m.2 to boot as primary- Dell 15 7000 (7559)

sgsam0309

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
I just bought a brand new Windows 10 Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7559) come with 1TB 5400+128GB SSD, but before I make payment, the salesman said it would be faster if i use Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD mSATA m.2. I purchased it, but after waiting for 3 hours of setting, the salesman can't able to boot up the new laptop by using the new Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD mSATA m.2. I need full guide to setup the Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD mSATA m.2 as my primary boot up. Please help~

Go into BIOS. Set it as first boot device? All the new dells these days they aren't like

First Boot - hard drive
Second - DVD DRive

and then you have to select what is the first HDD and first Optial etc. If you go into the BIOS and go into Boot it list ALL the devices and you just use the up and down arrows on the right to select it.

ALSO if you do NOT have an OS on the 1TB, and have the 256GB in there it will still boot from the SSD even if it is the last boot device so long as the previous devices DON"T have anything to boot from.

Is the OS installe don the 128 GB or no? if it is you can just either 1) Swap it out, then reinstall windows with a Dell Windows 10 disk or even a regular windows 10 disk or 2) You can use a program like Macrium Reflect, you first power on the laptop, go though setup, install the program, CREATE A RECOVERY DVD/USB DRIVE, then make a Image of the 128 and save it to the 1Tb. Then replace the 128 with the 256, boot off the disk/USB drive, browse to the image and restore it to the 256. You will have to extend the partition though to fill up the full 256 GB though but that is easy.

sgsam0309

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
What you mean is, first i check whether the OS is pre-installed on 128GB(1TB HDD).
After that if it's pre-installed on 128GB(1TB HDD), i image out to 1TB as a Recovery Drive.
Then i clone the 128GB to my 250GB mSATA m.2 SSD.
Finally i should able to use 250GB mSata m.2 SSD as my boot drive?

Thanks for the help, will try this out once i reach home. Appreciate for your kind advise.

Will have to ask you again if this method wont work.

If the 1 TB has more than 250 GB of data, you WILL NOT be able to clone to the Samsung M.2. Not enough room.

Yogi

sgsam0309

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
I manage to make it work on the M.2 SSD as the boot drive. I use EaseUS to partition clone OS:C(HDD) to my SSD, after that legacy mode then change my order to 2nd HDD first and boot from Windows manager. I accidently found out my M.2 SSD is working as boot drive after reboot. The speed is blazing fast. 548mb/s reading speed and 536mb/s read speed.

Sweet way to go!

And @ Yogi it is a brand new laptop so unless he tossed on 200+GB of data before all of this then he shouldn't have an issue which he didn't lol

Now you can use the 1TB as storage. If you want to move your user folders like Downloads Documents Etc to the 1TB that is easy.

Open up your user folder (For windows 7 click on Start and then your Name, for 8 not sure off the top of my head, for 10 Open file explorer and they are on the left hand side.). Just right click on each one, go to properties, and then on the Location tab change the C to what ever the drive letter of the 1TB is. I would format the 1Tb first

Most of us Hard drive guys perfect Macrium Reflect or another program. I myself have tired to use the Samsung software and it rarely works for me.

Tinghc

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015

Yes it did work for me too. Wasted my money on Easeus partition manager, it does not help!