Need help getting my 4k monitor to display in 4k

sixstringsmash

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Hello, I just bought a new Samsung UHD590 28 inch 4k monitor but I seem to be having trouble getting it to display past 1080p on my computer. First off I should let you know I have an AMD 7990 GPU which has 4 mini display ports and a dvi port. I am running a mini DP to HDMI adapter to the monitor since my GPU doesn't have a native HDMI port. I thought this would work because on AMD's website it says that mini DP should support up to a 4k resolution, but whenever I try to adjust the screen resolution it keeps telling me that 1920x1080 is the highest resolution. If anyone has any experience with this it would be greatly appreciated as I am severely stumped right now.

Solution

There is no existing HDMI "2.0" to DP "1.2" at the moment, not...

-Lone-

Admirable

There is no existing HDMI "2.0" to DP "1.2" at the moment, not that I can find. If there was when I spent days searching for one, I wouldn't have gave up on HDMI and bought a $2,500 TV just for a little display port. So that adapter is the problem. I'd get something like this, I have it and it works fine mDP to DP 4k@60Hz.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7RM2TG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: I had the same problem when I tried to use an adapter for the last TV I bought before this one, except for it was only like 720p@30Hz, which was horrible, so I returned both and gave up trying to do HDMI to DP conversion. Then that's when my expensive TV came in :)

Solution