My learned friends,

I have been having problems with my PC. It seems that after one problem is
solved another emerges. Windows XP Pro is not recognising my USB devices. I
was advised here do download Service Pack 1 and the relevant drivers.
However, on the PC in question I cannot get online. When I click the button
to sign on (AOL) the PC freezes and I must restart or turnoff if possible,
otherwise an improper shutdown is in order. I need to get online to get the
necessary updates. How can I solve this problem?

I tried one of the putting service pack 1’s onto disk (getting online
through another PC) and then installing it. That did not work.

Please advise.

Yours,

Joe

Actually, not being able to get online is a good thing in this case.

SP1 and SP2 do a lot to fix security issues in your computer. If you don't
have the ability to download it, you can order it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

You may find that it fixes a lot of your problems also. If not, you've
still got the option of doing a repair install (which'll let you save your
data and settings).

Here's a couple of links for the repair install:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

- John

"JOE X5" wrote:

> My learned friends,
>
> I have been having problems with my PC. It seems that after one problem is
> solved another emerges. Windows XP Pro is not recognising my USB devices. I
> was advised here do download Service Pack 1 and the relevant drivers.
> However, on the PC in question I cannot get online. When I click the button
> to sign on (AOL) the PC freezes and I must restart or turnoff if possible,
> otherwise an improper shutdown is in order. I need to get online to get the
> necessary updates. How can I solve this problem?
>
> I tried one of the putting service pack 1’s onto disk (getting online
> through another PC) and then installing it. That did not work.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Yours,
>
> Joe

You probably did noy look at downloading the correct SP1 file. You need to
locate the networking version os the service packs, and not the one off thee
Windows update site.

BTW: AOL is a cause of a lot of problems

"JOE X5" <JOEX5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My learned friends,
>
> I have been having problems with my PC. It seems that after one problem is
> solved another emerges. Windows XP Pro is not recognising my USB devices.
> was advised here do download Service Pack 1 and the relevant drivers.
> However, on the PC in question I cannot get online. When I click the
> button
> to sign on (AOL) the PC freezes and I must restart or turnoff if possible,
> otherwise an improper shutdown is in order. I need to get online to get
> the
> necessary updates. How can I solve this problem?
>
> I tried one of the putting service pack 1's onto disk (getting online
> through another PC) and then installing it. That did not work.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Yours,
>
> Joe

=?Utf-8?B?Sk9FIFg1?= wrote:

First recommendation. Uninstall AOL. Get netzero or a local ISP and save
$14/month

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

TRENDING THREADS