stewiewars

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
'k We have XP Home edition - have made XP Home Boot floppies - ??? didn't help once the 6 finished installing it asked for the XP Home Edition CD - we never received one. However we did make back up files when we purchaced the pc. We have all the i386 files, and the Key code for registration.

We found a Recovery file to make a boot CD. We used Roxio to make a boot CD using the file, and added all the i386 files to the CD as well. When we booted using the CD rom - it didn't recognize the disk as a boot disk.

What have we done wrong? - should we only have the recovery file there? It's called "xp_rec_con.iso".

If so - what are the next steps after that?

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Just borrow a Home edition from an acquaintance to do the install. Forget about the floppies.

When it comes time to type in the key - USE YOURS!

This is legal.

After a successful install, with XP patched, updated, SP2, etc, and humming along well, get an Imaging software (there are freebies, but I like Acronis True Image) and always keep an up-to-date copy of your hd on cd with this app (CD-R discs only cost about 20c a piece in bulk). It's by far the best way to backup XP.