Question Need help, got virus

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
So my PC had some virus called "Windows update service.vbe." I found it startup menu and disabled it. Then I right clicked it and selected "Go to file location" and deleted the file.

Now the "Windows update service.vbe." is gone from the startup menu but there is something called "Windows" in its place.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ntTrL0Y

It doesn't give me the option to got to file location. It gives me the enable, Search online options only.

View: https://imgur.com/a/uWbfgaZ

As you can see, the GPU is being used when there is no game/app open.

What do I do?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Lets say that you quarantine what it has identified.

How sure are you that ALL of this is gone?
And nothing else is lurking in there?

Would you bet your bank account on it?
I don't really have a bank account on the PC, I keep them on my phone.

Anyway, I'll do a full wipe afterwards, when I get a new HDD to backup.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't really have a bank account on the PC, I keep them on my phone.

Anyway, I'll do a full wipe afterwards, when I get a new HDD to backup.
The "bank account" was a generalized statement, referring to anything and everything that exists on that PC, and any other systems in your house, is subject to being compromised.
All of it.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
The "bank account" was a generalized statement, referring to anything and everything that exists on that PC, and any other systems in your house, is subject to being compromised.
All of it.
Can the windows drive get completely wiped off because of this virus? Happened a month ago thats why I'm asking.

An install from USB media (made from MS' Media Creation Tool on a functioning PC) to SSD can be done in as little as 4-5 minutes these days...

Another 10 minutes of installing correct chipset/LAN/audio/sound drivers appropriate to your mainboard, 5 more minutes installing correct GPU driver package, and 20 more minutes of downloading/installing WIndows updates...

Then install your needed applications.

When your PC is as you like it, make a full full image backup (via Macrium Reflect, or similar) at that point.