[SOLVED] Need help:"GPU (RTX 2080) suddenly started overheating

Mar 22, 2021
Hello!

I hope someone can help me otherwise I don't see any other way then RMA my gpu..

My GPU started to make a lot of noise since ±3 weeks. Idle temps are fine (around 30-35 degrees), but when I start a game (even older ones at low settings, games I played at ultra settings in the past without a problem (ie Civilization 6) the temps rise quickly to 78-80 degrees and then the fans keep blowing at 100% and it keeps going over 100% even (100% is 3100rpm, it oftens goes to 3900rpm and back). It also does this with other games I played before. What I've tried so far:
  • I have cleaned my PC and removed all dust (also tried without side panels) = GPU gets to 78-79 degrees
  • Fans seem to spin all 3 equally to me.
  • Tried to start with a fixed 90 and 100% fan speed but then temp still rises quickly to 78-80 degrees and fans start spinning very loud.
  • Removed and reinstalled latest NVIDIA drivers
  • Deleted all third party software that could influence fan control = no difference

I attached a picture of GPU usage, temps and fans RPM, this is of game Civilization VI at low settings, framelimiter to 60 fps at 1440p. (GPU gebruik = GPU usage)

Does anyone has another idea or tip? I still have warranty till 04.2022 so I could RMA it, but I've read some stories that people often get their cards back with same problems.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry for my English.

TempFancurve_LI.jpg.84efda1013a3a3e155a7662b1032a933.jpg

Solution
The card either:
A)Needs to be taken apart, cleaned, and repasted.
Try not to shred any thermal pads - you will need to replace them if it does happen.

B)Has fallen victim to the fan rpm bug that 'plagued' a number of those Gigabyte cards. They patched it with bios updates.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080GAMINGOC-WHITE-8GC/support#support-dl-bios
Warning:
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

Please note:
You can only update to a VBIOS version of the same series.Visual C++2008 is required for this...
Mar 22, 2021
Other specs of my PC:
- Gigabyte z370 pro wifi motherboard, CPU intel i7 i9700K, Memory 32gb ram 3200mhz corsair , NZXT h500i case, corsair h115i AIO, PSU corsair HX 850 titanium; Windows 10 updated to latest version.

The temperature looks ok to me. It's warm but not exactly hot for a graphics card yet. Maybe though for it to be running the fans at 100% it would be a bit hotter if say it ran them at 65% or so. You could always try a repaste if you're comfortable doing that. That might get your temps down.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The card either:
A)Needs to be taken apart, cleaned, and repasted.
Try not to shred any thermal pads - you will need to replace them if it does happen.

B)Has fallen victim to the fan rpm bug that 'plagued' a number of those Gigabyte cards. They patched it with bios updates.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N2080GAMINGOC-WHITE-8GC/support#support-dl-bios
Warning:
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction.

Please note:
You can only update to a VBIOS version of the same series.Visual C++2008 is required for this BIOS flash.
If your VBIOS version is:
F1, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F2-F9.
F10, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F11-F19.
F20, it can only be updated with VBIOS versions F21-F29.
(you can use Gpu-Z to ID the current bios version)

How to reflash bios?

Solution
Mar 22, 2021
@theonerm2 At the moment I would be okay with that temp if the GPU fans wouldn't spin like crazy..

@Phaaze88 Thanks for the info. I did what you advised, updated vbios to latest version but sadly, no difference. Also tried to reduce power limit, but it would still overheat at a non-gpu intensive game even when at 84% power limit, so I don't think that's a sustainable option for the future. I can try to repaste it but I think that would void my warranty? I will think about that option or RMA it, but they will probably do the same.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd repaste. Arctic MX-4 or CM MasterGel Maker. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is also recommended for gpus, but I find it too risky with the reports of that paste tearing up the Lazer etching on cpus or leaving actual gouges.

As said, be very careful of the thermal pads, they come in different sizes, such as 0.5mm, 1mm,1.5mm etc on the board and if replaced need exactly the correct thickness in the right spots.

TRENDING THREADS