NEED HELP - GPU shutting down randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2018
Hi all,

About after a month after building my PC, my screen would suddenly turn black and my monitor would display a 'No Signal' message when I was simply browsing Chrome or playing games such as Overwatch, League of Legends or Fortnite. When I looked through my PC's side panel all the CPU cooler fan & Case fans were still running as well as my motherboard's RGB lighting however my GPU's fans weren't spinning and none of the LED lights were on. From this I assumed the GPU is as fault and after reading some forum posts here and on other sites I found that this may also be a PSU issue. I went ahead and got both my GPU and PSU sent back for an RMA from which the GPU was tested to be working without fault and I received a new retail unit of my PSU. I put everything back together and decided to play some Overwatch when just 10 minutes into playing the same issue occurred and again later on in the day when i was browsing Chrome.

Whenever this issue occurs my PC will not shut down or restart using any of the front panel switches on my case and the only way to get a signal back is to turn off the PC from the mains outlet and forcing it to restart.

If there are any suggestions people have on how to try and fix this it would be greatly appreciated.

My PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 2600x (not OC or changed in anyway in the BIOS) using stock cooler
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz (clocked at 2133mhz in the BIOS by default) 2x4GB DDR4 RAM
MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8gb (not OC)
Corsair RMx 550W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD
Kingston A400 240GB SSD (Boot Drive)

Oct 13, 2018

Thanks for your response,

I've had a look in Reliability History and only found one Critical Event being 'Windows was not properly shut down' which occurred after my screen went black and is because I had to switch off my PC from the mains outlet to get a signal back.

In Event Viewer I found Event ID 6008 & 41 occurred when the issue arose again and there were no abnormal spikes or activity shown on the Task Manager or Resource Monitor just before the shutdown.

Ralston18

Titan
Possibly power/PSU related.

Your PSU is 550 watts and may be borderline effective with regards to supporting your build.,

Google the 6008 and 41 errors. Limit the search to the last year or so and do some reading. You may find other possible reasons for the problem or otherwise recognize some additional symptoms with regards to the shutdowns.

The constant "10" minutes may relate to the some overheating problem. Something getting warmer and warmer, becomes too hot and then crash!

Use two or three online calculators to add up the total wattage requirements of all of your build's components. Add 40% to that total - compare to 550 watts.

Oct 13, 2018

I've found solutions to the 6008 & 41 errors however none have been successful. Overheating is something I have considered but after checking GPU-Z logs the GPU temps just before shutdowns they show that my GPU reaches about 58°C.
As far as total wattage goes I used a kill a watt meter and ran the Heaven benchmark test for about 5 minutes before my PC shutdown again and saw the wattage before shutdown was 400W, with peak wattage being 459W. This is still within the 550W of my PSU and so could this mean that this isn't a PSU related issue?

Ralston18

Titan
PSU problems can result in all sorts of problems and that is what I read into your original post.

Ad for the Kilowatt meter I am not sure about how well that device actually measures and handles peak voltages per se.

I have a Kilowatt but only to monitor long term wattage consumption: not problems as may be occurring within the PSU and "downstream" hitting the computer via a problem with one of the output voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.