Jul 25, 2021

David Ralph

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
So I have a pre built hp pavilion
I5 9400
Gtx 1650
256gb ssd
8gb ram I am getting black lines/ tearing I guess, it doesn’t happen in Valorant or smite but every other game it happens, I reinstalled my drivers, purged my hard drive, tried HDMI over dvi. Tried v sync even tho my monitor doesn’t have vync. Any help would be appreciated before I order a new pc
The fact that it doesn’t happen in certain games would indicate (in my unprofessional opinion) that it’s not a hardware problem you’re having, which is a good thing considering current GPU prices. Here are some initial steps that I would consider taking. Firstly, make sure Windows is completely up to date (this is always my step 1 lol). Secondly, uninstall anything graphics driver related and reinstall with the absolute latest drivers from Nvidia, I use GeForce experience to do this although I think it can be done manually. Thirdly, if this fails and the issue persists, I would scour Nvidia’s website or other resources for previous driver versions and try them. Downgrading drivers is never fun, and as is obvious, make sure all graphics drivers are uninstalled before doing it, but it may be your last hope before having to contact some other type of support.
Also not sure what kind of prebuilt you have (desktop or laptop), but it might be worth checking HP‘s website for their drivers and driver packages. Just make sure you opt out of all optional bloat ware they’ll attempt to download during the install.
Hope this helps.

Jul 25, 2021
Thank you for your reply, I tried all the options you listed, I think I’ve found the problem my cpu is most likely bottlenecking my gpu. My cpu usage is 80-100% while gpu seems to stay under 20. But it is also fixed in most games by going to 60 hz over 144hz