Question Need help identifying my current air cooler model

Nov 18, 2022
hello, all. i own a pre-built Inspiron 5675 with a Ryzen 7 1700x. i'm trying to replace the current generic motherboard with a B550M and upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 7 5700x. i already purchased both components and wish to bring the PC for a technician to install them since i'm not tech savvy enough to handle this operation by myself.

however, firstly i would like to know if my current air cooler is enough to safely handle the new CPU or if i have to buy a new one (and if that's the case, what are the specifications for an adequate cooler. i'm on a short budget after having invested in the new hardware). sadly, i can't make out the model of the cooler inside my rig, and i also can't seem to find any useful information in the documents related to the Inspiron i own. i snapped a couple of pictures of the cooler in case they are of any help to someone with possible insight on the matter. one of them seems to have a readable serial number, but looking it up hasn't led me anywhere.

any help is appreciated.

Image 1: IMG-20230302-204116 hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB (ibb.co)
Image 2: IMG-20230302-204008 hosted at ImgBB — ImgBB (ibb.co)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What you have, is generic CPU cooler provided by Dell.

Ebay listing with more pics and serial numbers,
link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225276699653

Your CPU cooler is most likely outsourced by Dell to someone and i don't think it is even on sale as standalone unit. And without that, there won't be any specs of the cooler itself (e.g cooling capacity).

Still, R7 1700X is 95W CPU while R7 5700X is 65W CPU. So, you should be safe and your old CPU cooler should be sufficient enough to cool your new CPU.

Nov 18, 2022
Still, R7 1700X is 95W CPU while R7 5700X is 65W CPU. So, you should be safe and your old CPU cooler should be sufficient enough to cool your new CPU.
oh, that is a very nice surprise. my understanding was that a beefier CPU would draw more power and generate more heat, specially since i intend to use it mainly for gaming and video editing

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
my understanding was that a beefier CPU would draw more power and generate more heat

It is newer and better performing, but in the same time, far more power efficient as well, by having 30W difference. So, when your current CPU cooler was able to cool 95W CPU, it for sure is able to cool 65W CPU as well.

Temps wise, R7 5700X also does quite well,
review: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5700x/19.html

While review uses Noctua NH-U14S, these values are quite good for 65W chip.