need help identifying this

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I need to know who manufactures this board and if it supports pc133 RAM and 4x agp. the board is called p6bap-ap and is a p3 board. it supports both edo and sdram and uses a via vt82c596b southbridge. thats all i know

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

G

As long as the memory supports the voltage and physical requirements (3.3 volts, unbuffered, 168 pin) of the motherboard (and vice-versa) the PC-133 SDRAM will work just fine. Lots of people use faster ram than required for thier system to help in overclocking the system bus. OC'ing the sys bus puts a strain on the other components in the bus path and the higher their spec, the better able they will be in handling the increased load brought on by the OC'ing of the bus. That board has a BX chipset which supports a 100mhz front side bus, so putting PC-133 SDRAM (133mhz) in it is fine because it won't "bog-down" your sys bus (like if you put PC-66 SDRAM in it) but in fact, it theoretically leaves 33mhz of memory bandwidth headroom for you to play with!

G

I forgot to answer your other question: As far as AGP support the BX chipset only supports 1x/2x AGP. I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway because NO applications to this date still even utilize the full potential of the AGP 2x spec let alone the 4x...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the board should have a VIA chipset, but it was a time when intel Northbridges were paired with any southbridge, like the ones from VIA to reduce cost.

your board has a VIA693A chipset, which does not support 4X AGP but does support PC133 RAM speed.

here are the features:
Socket 370 (FCPGA support)
UDMA/66
AMR Plus
CMI8738 3D-PCI-Audio
with AC3-support
HSP 56K flex-Modem
Magic Setting IV
Suspend To RAM
Keyboard Power On
Hardware-Monitoring
AGP 2x
3x DIMM (max. 384 MB)
4x PCI
2x ISA

hope they match with what you have, just to cross check.

I just got it - its a <A HREF="http://www.it-bixen.dk/pdf/p6bap-ap.pdf" target="_new">ECS P6BAP-AP</A>. click on the link or <A HREF="http://www.elitegroup.de/produkte/produkte_pdf/produkte_p6bap-ap.pdf" target="_new">this</A> to get more info.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

I stand corrected! I confused this board with the ECS P6BA-A+. Either way you can use the PC-133 but you've got 1x/2x AGP support only.

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks everyone actually the board isn't mine i'm just doing a friend a favor. Anyway I guess I have to break the news to him that he can't use his vid at 4x

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bigrat on 10/18/01 09:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>