[SOLVED] Need help identifying unknown data transfer cable

Reverend

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2012
Hi everybody,

I purchased an old Samsung TV (UN19F4000) with the intention to install a hardrive inside of it. The TV has a USB slot, and the plan is to wire a storage device inside the back panel and seal it up, bypassing the external USB port.

However, I cant tell which wire is which as the TV will not fully open up.

So, I was hoping somebody could identify the two cable types in this photo, and tell me which one is likely the data transfer cable leading to the USB port.

Thanks!!

20210322-142417.jpg

Solution
With a random guess, neither. There isn't enough in this picture to tell you anything. I think you should try dismantling the TV further, probably some clips you need to depress to pull off the plastic, get yourself a spudger.

You have effectively two 6 conductor connectors. One is a slightly higher gauge, so might be expecting power. Maybe the larger is speakers or something.

USB 1.1/2.0 technically only requires 4 conductors. Neutral, 5V, and a wire for transmit and receive. TX/RX. With a 5th conductor for grounding to the USB metal shielding.

Based on pictures of this TV online, USB and the second HDMI would be to the left? HDMI certainly has more conductors. My guess is those inputs are on the main PCB and not connected by cable.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With a random guess, neither. There isn't enough in this picture to tell you anything. I think you should try dismantling the TV further, probably some clips you need to depress to pull off the plastic, get yourself a spudger.

You have effectively two 6 conductor connectors. One is a slightly higher gauge, so might be expecting power. Maybe the larger is speakers or something.

USB 1.1/2.0 technically only requires 4 conductors. Neutral, 5V, and a wire for transmit and receive. TX/RX. With a 5th conductor for grounding to the USB metal shielding.

Based on pictures of this TV online, USB and the second HDMI would be to the left? HDMI certainly has more conductors. My guess is those inputs are on the main PCB and not connected by cable.

Last edited:
Solution