Question Need help improving/building gaming PC

Feb 17, 2019
Hi need some help. I currently have about a 4 year old 'gaming' PC which I have upgraded by putting 16GB of DDR3 ram and a geforce GTX 1050 in the system. Not thinking about upgrading CPU as i notice that it gets high usage during pretty much any game. My current specs are MSI A78M-E35 board with an A8 7650K radeon R7, 16 Gb of RAM, GTX 1050 and a 600W power supply. I'm thinking, having done some research, to replace both the motherboard and CPU with a MSI 970 and an AMD FX9590. However, I've never built a PC, never replaced a motherboard or CPU so a little apprehensive to go ahead and try it only to find out that it doesn't improve or I did it wrong or something.

Basically looking for advice as to whether this is a good plan or whether there is a better option. I'm looking to spend a max of £150 on CPU and motherboard. If it helps/matters, I usually use the PC for sim racing like iracing and realistic FPSs like Escape From Tarkov. Any ideas/advice would be useful as I'm pretty stumped at the moment as whats best to do.

Cheers

Lutfij

Titan
You're best dumping that money down the toilet as opposed to buying that 9590 combo. In fact, you could spend the money on a current gen Ryzen 3000 platform and retain the system for a good 3-4 years.

So short answer, no it's not a good plan.

Best list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

And include the age of your PSU so we can suggest another alternative that isn't as hot as the core of the sun.

Feb 17, 2019
You're best dumping that money down the toilet as opposed to buying that 9590 combo. In fact, you could spend the money on a current gen Ryzen 3000 platform and retain the system for a good 3-4 years.

So short answer, no it's not a good plan.

Best list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

And include the age of your PSU so we can suggest another alternative that isn't as hot as the core of the sun.

CPU: AMD A8-7650K
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35
Ram: 16GB (14.9 usable) DDR3
HDD: 1TB
PSU: ATX-500B 500W
Case: Vantage Dragon Case

And the PSU is about as old as the pc so 4 years maybe.
Would the Ryzen 3000 platform be a whole new system?

Last edited: