[SOLVED] Need help improving my home network

Sep 28, 2020
I have FIOS gigabit service with their quantum gateway router, I believe it is the G1100. It has been good enough for some time, but now that I have several devices using Wi-Fi including many smart TV's, I'm looking to upgrade everything as well as run some ethernet through the home so more of the devices are hard wired. Is it true the Verizon router is limiting speeds and an aftermarket would improve overall performance with the gigabit service?

I'm lost when it comes to the hardware so I'm looking for some advice on a proper setup to meet my needs in the home. Currently, the router has two ethernet cables (25ft & 50ft) that run to a PC and video game console. The rest of our home is running wireless. I want to have ethernet running to about 7 or 8 of the devices throughout the home, but not sure how to accomplish this task. Should I upgrade my Verizon router to an aftermarket device? Do I need a switch(es) to create more ethernet ports? Any advice is appreciated and feel free to ask questions if I missed important details. Thanks for the help.

Solution
I'm lost when it comes to the hardware so I'm looking for some advice on a proper setup to meet my needs in the home. Currently, the router has two ethernet cables (25ft & 50ft) that run to a PC and video game console. The rest of our home is running wireless. I want to have ethernet running to about 7 or 8 of the devices throughout the home, but not sure how to accomplish this task. Should I upgrade my Verizon router to an aftermarket device? Do I need a switch(es) to create more ethernet ports? Any advice is appreciated and feel free to ask questions if I missed important details. Thanks for the help.
Getting a single ethernet cable to a room is OK. Then you can put a small ethernet switch in the room and connect all the...
Not sure about any limits from the Verizon router. But I like to have my own network. I just use the FIOS router as a modem. I also have a couple extra errors acting as access points. You'll need a switch for that many ports.

My setup is modem to router to switch. With ethernet going from the switch to multiple devices throughout the house.

For my access points. I use the remaining ports on the router. So the WiFi is separate from the switch on the router. They go modem to router to access point.

Reactions: Mike2181
The G1100 is a very well liked router actually. Test with a ethernet cable and see if you get what the ISP sold you. If not you may want to contact them.

Even the cheapest modern routers can pass very close to 1gbit of data wan/lan on ethernet. You have to be somewhat careful feature like parental control and firewall etc disable a NAT acceleration feature on most routers.

Another reason to keep the G1100 is it has a built in moca adapter.

This means to get ethernet in the other rooms of your house if you have cable tv wires you can use a moca adapter. The G1100 is limited to moca 2.0 but it should still get close to gigabit speeds.

kanewolf

Titan
Getting a single ethernet cable to a room is OK. Then you can put a small ethernet switch in the room and connect all the devices. For example, the room with the game console, can have a 5 port gigabit switch added and the TV can be wired at the same time as the game console.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Also, if you have TV service through FiOS, that G1100 needs to be in the mix somewhere. That provides data to the STBs.

I also have a G1100, and it is a pretty good device.
Coax cable, and a MOCA device upstairs to provide a wired signal there.

I only have 100/100 service, though.

Sep 28, 2020
The G1100 is a very well liked router actually. Test with a ethernet cable and see if you get what the ISP sold you. If not you may want to contact them.

Even the cheapest modern routers can pass very close to 1gbit of data wan/lan on ethernet. You have to be somewhat careful feature like parental control and firewall etc disable a NAT acceleration feature on most routers.

Another reason to keep the G1100 is it has a built in moca adapter.

This means to get ethernet in the other rooms of your house if you have cable tv wires you can use a moca adapter. The G1100 is limited to moca 2.0 but it should still get close to gigabit speeds.

You're right, my speeds are way better than I thought. I have a feeling when I ran a speed check a long time ago, it was to check my wireless speed and I just forgot that part. I ran a wired test today and I'm getting 902 up, 747 down and 4 ping. As far as moca, I only have internet in the home... no cable or phone service. Thanks for the reply.

Sep 28, 2020
Getting a single ethernet cable to a room is OK. Then you can put a small ethernet switch in the room and connect all the devices. For example, the room with the game console, can have a 5 port gigabit switch added and the TV can be wired at the same time as the game console.

Thanks for the reply. Now if I were to get a 5 port switch as you suggested.... I can just run an ethernet from my G1100 toward the end of the home by the bedrooms and plug it into this switch? Then I would have 4 ports from this switch to run to tv's and video game consoles?

Sep 28, 2020
Exactly.
5 port, or 8, or 16...

That's great, this got much easier than I thought it would be. Thanks for all the help everyone. And I agree with you, the G1100 is a good device. I think I just got mixed up with wired and wireless speeds and my research way back involved considering a new router to increase the wireless speed, not wired.

Sep 28, 2020
In a house, the most difficult part is running the ethernet cables in a manner that has a high WAF.
(Wife Acceptance Factor)

Very true, haha. We just put a couple tv's on the wall recently and all the wires had to be hidden, and not with them paintable raceway kits! So yeah, I'm already running ideas in my head on how I'll be running these wires, access points, etc.