Aug 29, 2013
Hello everyone!

So I am looking at building a system with current specs:

CPU: Intel core i7 4770k

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Liquid cooling

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1600mhz (2x8gb) DDR3

GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC w/ ACX Cooler

PSU: Silverstone Strider plus 850W ST85F - P

I think that is all that is needed but if I haven't listed something I needed then let me know.

I am looking for something to over-clock my CPU to about 4.5ghz, I have little - no experience with mother boards but I am told the ASUS VI Formula is a great board and the MSI Z87 MPower Max is also a good board.

But as I said, I have no clue so I am seeking some help, thanks!

Matt :)

Solution
I would recommend always get the motherboard first when building a PC, since everything is based off of that and not all of your stuff may be compatible with the same board.

Matthew Cameron

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Thanks for the reply,

But I was hoping to know whether the ASUS VI Formula would be compatible with everything I have, because like I said I know very little on this topic.

Cheers,

DaronMal

Distinguished
Sorry, but that's just how I always do it, picking the random parts is easy but finding the right mobo is hard, word of advice is the CPU/GPU should be the same company. So if you like the Intel i7, go for an Intel GPU, and etc.

cars12345

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Here are two excellent boards at a decent price:
-http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusvihero
-http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusvigene

Intel only has integrated chipsets.
Mixing brands will make no difference. PCI-Express x16 3.0 just has more bandwidth. Maybe some high-end cards will have an advantage.

Matthew Cameron

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Thanks, for the replies everyone, but in regards to the Noctua NH-D14 instead of the H100i - could you tell me why, I thought water cooling was recommended for the new processors, I also thought the H100i performed better from looking at benchmarks.

All I really want to know is your rational.

Cheers,

Matthew Cameron

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Hi, like I said, I'm very new so I have no idea what micro ATX is...

If you could dumb it down for me and explain a little that would be great!

Regards,

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
In part it's a matter of preference, the h100 is about $110 and there's plenty of air coolers that are less that stay right about the same temps, my V8 is right at about the same (think it tested 2 degrees warmer) but that's fine, it was only $10 less but looks great and runs great I'm at 4.6 with my 4770K and have run it at 4.7 and 4.8 - still playing with voltages