[SOLVED] Need help in choosing a new GPU

TheeCatalyst21

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Hello,

Need some help in picking a new GPU to replace my RTX2060 6GB. In my country, the philippines GPU prices are somewhat going down and plenty are in stock.

Mostly playing Squad at 1080p 75hz monitor at medium setting but lags in certain maps

With my budget several models of the RTX 3060 12gb and RX 6600 XT going for around ₱18,000-22,000

The cheapest I can get is a XFX RX 6600 XT QICK 308 followed by the MSI RX 6600 XT MECH 2X and MSI RX 6600 XT Gaming X

There's a lot of RTX 3060 12gb models available form different brands, all of them costing slihtly more than all the RX 6600 XT

The cheapest model is Zotac Twin Edge then Asus DUAL OC V2, Colorful NB DUO, INNO3D TWIN X2 OC, Galax

System specs:
MSI H510M PRO-E
Intel I5 11400
16gb 3200 PNY XLR8
MSI MAG A500DN

Solution
Well, glad to see someone from the same country.

As for Squad, I'd just like to point out that it's more CPU intensive rather than GPU-intensive. Just thought you should know that.

As for your GPU selection. The RX 6600XT, especially the XFX one, is a good option. If you dive deeper and research further if the RTX 3060 is better or worse, you'd generally see them performing similarly except that the RX 6600XT has a slight edge with around 4 to 5 frames higher. (Not all games, it's game dependent), Though I'd like to mention that for Ray Tracing, Nvidia is still king. Especially with DLSS.

So I would definitely ask, Is Ray Tracing your priority right now? If this is a yes, I would recommend you go with an RTX 3060.

However, if...

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022

As for Squad, I'd just like to point out that it's more CPU intensive rather than GPU-intensive. Just thought you should know that.

As for your GPU selection. The RX 6600XT, especially the XFX one, is a good option. If you dive deeper and research further if the RTX 3060 is better or worse, you'd generally see them performing similarly except that the RX 6600XT has a slight edge with around 4 to 5 frames higher. (Not all games, it's game dependent), Though I'd like to mention that for Ray Tracing, Nvidia is still king. Especially with DLSS.

So I would definitely ask, Is Ray Tracing your priority right now? If this is a yes, I would recommend you go with an RTX 3060.

However, if it's not Ray Tracing you're after, I would suggest the RX 6600XT.

A few notes are that.

1. Nvidia has greater and smoother Driver support. A 3060 will almost surely outlast a 6600 in terms of driver support down the line. (You can check how AMD killed off the R9 300 Series in 2021, which was released in 2015. For reference, Nvidia has the GTX 900 series which was released the same year. They are still supported to this day. )
  2. Nvidia, is kind of pricier for the performance. There is generally more value in AMD these days on the GPU side. (Except for the RX 6500. That is a disaster.)
  3. If you are looking for a long-term solution, Nvidia is the only choice. As by historical facts, they will generally be supported longer.

I recommend the XFX RX 6600XT for AMD, and the Asus Dual OC V2 for the 3060.

Reasons:

XFX RX 6600XT has the best potential to OC as it has the better cooling solution with 3x Fans and a larger heatsink. It is also the highest OCed card out of your options.

Asus Dual OC V2 is the highest overclocked out of the factory 1867Mhz compared to 1803 and 1792 for the Inno3d and Galax versions respectively. I do not recommend the Colorful 3060, as it is the only one that is not-OCed (Though by experience should be the cheapest) . Though I do understand that Asus is probably the most expensive one of them all, as Asus always has a price premium, but with that, it is always one of the best products. I hope you have the budget for this since it is 22k from DynaQuest online.

In case Budget becomes an issue:

https://shopee.ph/RTX-3060-white-iG...37&xptdk=5bafa4b4-5ad4-41c6-bce8-77afdcbadc37

Do take a look at that, it's a 2nd hand option most probably used in mining, but if you know how to replace the thermal paste and if needed, the thermal pads. This would be a great value option.

Lastly, I hope Squad is installed in an SSD, as stuttering can sometimes be also caused by the game being on a slow Hard Drive. Though that's not very often the case.

Anyways good luck and God speed with your build!
Regards, ThraxInDistress.

Solution

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
I

A few notes are that.

1. Nvidia has greater and smoother Driver support. A 3060 will almost surely outlast a 6600 in terms of driver support down the line. (You can check how AMD killed off the R9 300 Series in 2021, which was released in 2015. For reference, Nvidia has the GTX 900 series which was released the same year. They are still supported to this day. )
  2. Nvidia, is kind of pricier for the performance. There is generally more value in AMD these days on the GPU side. (Except for the RX 6500. That is a disaster.)
  3. If you are looking for a long-term solution, Nvidia is the only choice. As by historical facts, they will generally be supported longer.

Reasons:

XFX RX 6600XT has the best potential to OC as it has the better cooling solution with 3x Fans and a larger heatsink. It is also the highest OCed card out of your options.

Asus Dual OC V2 is the highest overclocked out of the factory 1867Mhz compared to 1803 and 1792 for the Inno3d and Galax versions respectively. I do not recommend the Colorful 3060, as it is the only one that is not-OCed (Though by experience should be the cheapest) . Though I do understand that Asus is probably the most expensive one of them all, as Asus always has a price premium, but with that, it is always one of the best products. I hope you have the budget for this since it is 22k from DynaQuest online.

https://shopee.ph/RTX-3060-white-iG...37&xptdk=5bafa4b4-5ad4-41c6-bce8-77afdcbadc37

Do take a look at that, it's a 2nd hand option most probably used in mining, but if you know how to replace the thermal paste and if needed, the thermal pads. This would be a great value option.

Lastly, I hope Squad is installed in an SSD, as stuttering can sometimes be also caused by the game being on a slow Hard Drive. Though that's not very often the case.

Almost forgot to add, both the RTX 3060 and RX 6600XT recommends atleast a 550w PSU. Please upgrade your PSU to a 600W unit to make sure nothing can go wrong.

Msi is a good brand, but you can also try Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA, Coolermaster, etc. anything 80 plus rated.

Here is a tier list of PSUs for you to base on. https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Last edited:

TheeCatalyst21

Reputable
May 23, 2019

A few notes are that.

Reasons:

Wasn't expecting a very detailed response, you have my thanks.

I'll try to get the RTX 3060 2nd hand so I can get a new PSU

Reactions: ThraxInDistress
Jan 23, 2023
Hello,

Need some help in picking a new GPU to replace my RTX2060 6GB. In my country, the philippines GPU prices are somewhat going down and plenty are in stock.

Mostly playing Squad at 1080p 75hz monitor at medium setting but lags in certain maps

With my budget several models of the RTX 3060 12gb and RX 6600 XT going for around ₱18,000-22,000

The cheapest I can get is a XFX RX 6600 XT QICK 308 followed by the MSI RX 6600 XT MECH 2X and MSI RX 6600 XT Gaming X

There's a lot of RTX 3060 12gb models available form different brands, all of them costing slihtly more than all the RX 6600 XT

The cheapest model is Zotac Twin Edge then Asus DUAL OC V2, Colorful NB DUO, INNO3D TWIN X2 OC, Galax

System specs:
MSI H510M PRO-E
Intel I5 11400
16gb 3200 PNY XLR8
MSI MAG A500DN

Similar situation here. I'm from Thailand and would like to upgrade my GPU as well. However, I have no idea about prices and haven't really been following up the recent price changes. Do you expect GPU prices to go down more in SEA? If so, I might wait a bit longer to upgrade ^^

TheeCatalyst21

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Similar situation here. I'm from Thailand and would like to upgrade my GPU as well. However, I have no idea about prices and haven't really been following up the recent price changes. Do you expect GPU prices to go down more in SEA? If so, I might wait a bit longer to upgrade ^^
Can't really say, maybe you can check for any local reviewer in your country theres a big chance they would reference prices for the past few years.