Question Need help in choosing a PSU..

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
Hey guys, so my friend needs an upgrade for his, current PSU. What would be the best choice?
I have been offered:
FSP Raider II Silver 650w for 34$
FSP Aurum S Gold 700w for 34$
FSP Aurum 92+ Platinum 650w for 38$

The Aurum S one seems too old, for me though. What are your opinions? Which, is the best option?

If you are being offered used PSUs, don't bother with them.

If these are actually new, the FSP Aurum 92+ Platinum 650w is the only one I would consider, if I was forced to choose between them.....however, I'm the type of person who prefers to source my PSUs differently, and would opt for a high-tier Corsair or Seasonic, instead.

Reactions: davew1860

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
If you are being offered used PSUs, don't bother with them.

If these are actually new, the FSP Aurum 92+ Platinum 650w is the only one I would consider, if I was forced to choose between them.....however, I'm the type of person who prefers to source my PSUs differently, and would opt for a high-tier Corsair or Seasonic, instead.
Seller said they are all new, but yea I'm also having my doubts since I'm very skeptical about a lot of things, but my friend says he's willing to take the risk though. Well, the raider ii is fairly new (2017) and the platinum one is semi modular.
How so? Why corsair or seasonic? Can I ask for more info why?

Last edited:
I'm just more familiar with the two brands, and know what I'm getting if I select a top-tier model in their respective lines. It's a time-saver for me to go that route. I just don't have the time to waste on testing out other brands to fulfill a need, so I stick with known good-quality manufacturers.

The Platinum is, according to the reviews that I found, the better quality unit of the three, and, at that pricing, the extra 4 bucks is nothing.

If you pressed me to pick one of the 3, or buy my own, I'd go with a Corsair HM650, instead.....because I know what I'm getting, have a current warranty to fall back on, and the reasonable assurance that I won't be wasting my time replacing the PSU anytime soon.

The other side of the coin is that the Corsair HM650 isn't going to sell for $38.00; but, in my opinion, it's money well-spent.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
I'm just more familiar with the two brands, and know what I'm getting if I select a top-tier model in their respective lines. It's a time-saver for me to go that route. I just don't have the time to waste on testing out other brands to fulfill a need, so I stick with known good-quality manufacturers.

The Platinum is, according to the reviews that I found, the better quality unit of the three, and, at that pricing, the extra 4 bucks is nothing.
It's a pretty old model though. 2014... Would it still be okay?

This list may help you as to quality:

That said, $35 or so can't be for a new psu, and if you will be buying a used unit, look for better quality like Seasonic.

Rhaemond

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
As long as it's not a used unit, I'd trust it over the other two; and I'm wagering that the model introduction date doesn't actually mean that that particular device is actually that old. Still, I'd turn my back on all of them, in favor of what I mentioned earlier.
Alright I'll see what I can do. Thanks sir!!!
This list may help you as to quality:

That said, $35 or so can't be for a new psu, and if you will be buying a used unit, look for better quality like Seasonic.
Will try to look into it more. Thanks sir!