[SOLVED] Need Help in Deciding a Good Monitor

yogesh12

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2012
Hi.

Before we jump into things, Let me share my current config.

Benq XL2420T (Bought in 2012issh.)
Rig:

Ryzen 3900X
Radeon 5600 XT - But ill upgrade to Nvidia 3060 or 3070 in 2-4 months.
Deep Cool 360 Liquid Cooling
32Gigs of Corsair Ram 2666Hz
512GB SSD.

I am a big fan of Awesome Display! I do have nvidia 3d Vision 2 Kit as well which i use, like once in 2 years.

My Requirement:

1. Curved.
  2. Future Proof, Like ill buy once in 5-8 Years.
  3. Gives immersive display depth, brightness and clarity.. (Not sure if i need IPS or VA or TN) - All i care is good dept and amazing display.. I did googled all these but i am quite confused and came down here...

Kindly suggest me monitors. My Max Budget is $1k.

Should be able to run GSync + Free Sync.. + all sort of things.. you guys are expert! Kindly share your valuable advice.

I live in india, and i believe majority of them are available here!

Solution
Should be able to run GSync + Free Sync.
this should really depend on the card you'll be using for the majority of the ownership.

Freesync with G-Sync Compatible stat means that it will offer G-Sync capability for a later series Nvidia card.
but the variable refresh rate tech will only be enabled at >~44fps and even above that you may notice smoother frames when using a dedicated G-Sync chip vs "Compatible" with a GTX or RTX card.

with a dedicated G-Sync chip and later AMD cards there isn't really much to lose.
with Freesync enabled in AMD's Adrenaline software, i still seem to get perfect Adaptive Sync no matter the fps with my current RX 6700 XT on a dedicated G-Sync display.
I am a big fan of Awesome Display!
Requirement...
Should be able to run GSync + Free Sync.
this should really depend on the card you'll be using for the majority of the ownership.

Freesync with G-Sync Compatible stat means that it will offer G-Sync capability for a later series Nvidia card.
but the variable refresh rate tech will only be enabled at >~44fps and even above that you may notice smoother frames when using a dedicated G-Sync chip vs "Compatible" with a GTX or RTX card.

with a dedicated G-Sync chip and later AMD cards there isn't really much to lose.
with Freesync enabled in AMD's Adrenaline software, i still seem to get perfect Adaptive Sync no matter the fps with my current RX 6700 XT on a dedicated G-Sync display.
I am a big fan of Awesome Display!
Requirement:
Curved.
Future Proof, Like ill buy once in 5-8 Years.
Gives immersive display depth, brightness and clarity.. (Not sure if i need IPS or VA or TN) - All i care is good dept and amazing display.
last year i searched through about 30-40 displays, both monitors & TVs.
checked stats and reviews all over for a couple weeks
and then visited 4 of the major retailers around here to see some in person.
i ended up focused on ultra-wide, high(er) refreshrate, low response time, IPS panel.

out of all of them i saw in person the majority of the best looking screens were IPS.
some of the VA panels had a slightly better contrast and\or color but ALWAYS had terrible viewing angles with fuzzy and odd-colored corners & edges even when sitting directly in front of the screen.

HDR can be a big plus, but if shopping for it make sure it is HDR1000 spec.
anything lower(400, 600) does not look much better than a regular high DCI-P3(98%+) display.

the best one i've found with most of the specs i searched for that also includes those you seem interested in is the:
Alienware AW3420DW. 34", 3440x1440p, 120Hz, 1900R, IPS Nano, 2ms.

moving up from 16:9 aspect ratio to 21:9 ultra-wide was the best thing i've ever done in regards to gaming.
the wider field-of-view makes gaming much more immersive and the extra screenspace even makes regular computing tasks much easier.

many nicer monitors & TVs perfect for PC gaming seem to be popping up but finding one that fit my specs at the time with an actual G-Sync chip proved rather difficult.

Solution

yogesh12

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2012

last year i searched through about 30-40 displays, both monitors & TVs.
checked stats and reviews all over for a couple weeks
and then visited 4 of the major retailers around here to see some in person.
i ended up focused on ultra-wide, high(er) refreshrate, low response time, IPS panel.

out of all of them i saw in person the majority of the best looking screens were IPS.
some of the VA panels had a slightly better contrast and\or color but ALWAYS had terrible viewing angles with fuzzy and odd-colored corners & edges even when sitting directly in front of the screen.

HDR can be a big plus, but if shopping for it make sure it is HDR1000 spec.
anything lower(400, 600) does not look much better than a regular high DCI-P3(98%+) display.

the best one i've found with most of the specs i searched for that also includes those you seem interested in is the:
Alienware AW3420DW. 34", 3440x1440p, 120Hz, 1900R, IPS Nano, 2ms.

moving up from 16:9 aspect ratio to 21:9 ultra-wide was the best thing i've ever done in regards to gaming.
the wider field-of-view makes gaming much more immersive and the extra screenspace even makes regular computing tasks much easier.

many nicer monitors & TVs perfect for PC gaming seem to be popping up but finding one that fit my specs at the time with an actual G-Sync chip proved rather difficult.

Thanks for the nice reply...

I really want to stick to 16:9 as i dont have space..

So ill stick with IPS as well.. + GSync as well.

I am looking for more suggestion! Please advice guys!

Reactions: juxwillx

Endre

Reputable
Hi.

Before we jump into things, Let me share my current config.

Benq XL2420T (Bought in 2012issh.)
Rig:

Ryzen 3900X
Radeon 5600 XT - But ill upgrade to Nvidia 3060 or 3070 in 2-4 months.
Deep Cool 360 Liquid Cooling
32Gigs of Corsair Ram 2666Hz
512GB SSD.

I am a big fan of Awesome Display! I do have nvidia 3d Vision 2 Kit as well which i use, like once in 2 years.

My Requirement:

1. Curved.
  2. Future Proof, Like ill buy once in 5-8 Years.
  3. Gives immersive display depth, brightness and clarity.. (Not sure if i need IPS or VA or TN) - All i care is good dept and amazing display.. I did googled all these but i am quite confused and came down here...
Kindly suggest me monitors. My Max Budget is $1k.

Should be able to run GSync + Free Sync.. + all sort of things.. you guys are expert! Kindly share your valuable advice.

I live in india, and i believe majority of them are available here!

I won’t name an exact monitor model, but I’ll say these:
  1. 4K monitors look a lot better than 1080p or 1440p ones. They run at 10-bit instead of 8-bit.
  2. There are 3 regular types of panels: TN, VA, IPS. IPS has the best color reproduction.
  3. Brightness is important too! Choose 350cd/m2 or higher.
  4. Contrast is important too! Choose a monitor with at least 1300:1 (static contrast).

Endre

Reputable
not all 2160p(4K) displays are 10bit.

screen size and pixel density also play into the issue.
a small screen can look just as good with a lower resolution,
whereas with a larger screen the difference in resolution is much more noticeable.

Most of 4K monitors are 8-bit + FRC (10-bit), only the very high-end ones are true 10-bit.
Still, 8-bit + FRC is better than 8-bit (1.07 billion colors vs. 16 million colors).

A 27” 16:9 4K monitor has a pixel density of 163 PPI.
Here’s an example:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/8631142b