Need help in how to reformat/reinstall windows.

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I need to reformat and reinstall windows, but don't have a second hard drive to swap in to get almost 1tb of games I don't want to redownload. I am also thinking of getting an SSD to reinstall on (8350 is having major performance issues, have to try a fresh install) but then the old windows installation is still on the old drive, and I can't fir all my stuff onto the SSD either... What can I do? am I going to Have to buy another HDD just so I can transfer my stuff over... Got 1 external, but those are slow as hell too, and its only 128gb...

Can I make a new partition for windows since I got a little over a terabyte left, install windows on that, and move my old stuff to the new partition, or should I reformat and wipe the drive completely?

Solution

thats my concern , ive tried it before , ended up reformatting the hard drive and wish that i shouldve done it right from the start ...

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Yes, but you see I have over 750GB of games that have taken months and months to download... Data is precious to me, as my entire household is limited to 200GB a month by my ISP... Is there a way to do it without havig to move all that I want to keep and completely reformatting, or is that necessary? Can I just delete Windows from the HDD, and boot in with a fresh install on the SSD, and run everything off the now Windows-less HDD, or would that mess things up in the registry too much?

Robbot

Reputable
May 30, 2014

thats my concern , ive tried it before , ended up reformatting the hard drive and wish that i shouldve done it right from the start , although it might be because I did something wrong im not sure , but sure as hell im never going to do that again lol ,but hey you can try it if you want but im against it, best suggestion I could give you for this scenario since you have tons of files that you dont want to lose is to get a storage where can store your files temporarily while you reformat the whole hdd.

Solution

jkteddy77

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Yeah that's my issue :/ might just end up buying an SSD and a second HDD for a backup... noone has enough storage for my stuff... Thanks for the help, I DO NOT want to start with a messy file system, as that only brings problems. Guess I'll have to bit the bullet and buy both.

TRENDING THREADS