Question Need help in improving my system temps and noise level

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Hi guys.

lately I've built two systems one for me (Build 1) and one for my nephew (Build2), Thanks everyone for the nice help in making this nice rigs :)

Build 2:
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Mother Board: MSI B450 A PRO
CPU Cooler | Antec A400 RGB |
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
Storage | Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card | GeForce RTX™ 2060 OC 6G (rev. 1.0) rev. 2.0
Power Supply | Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-DELTA RGB

This build went really smooth both in installation and configuration.
Average temps are as follow, Idle: CPU - 32, System - 31, GPU - 37. Under gaming: CPU: 42, System: 37, GPU: 69
Noise level: Very low I can barely hear the fans even under 100% CPU load or GPU test.

I did not add or removed any fan from the 4 fans the case came with so 10/10 to corsair SPEC DELTA case and Antec A400 this system is very quiet I'd really recommend it!!

Build 1:

CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler | Antec Kuhler H2O K 240 Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard | MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage | Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage | Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card | Asus GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card

Case | NZXT H400i MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply | Antec High Current Gamer Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

This build only gave me troubles regarding the freaking AIO cooling. I had to place it at the front (I wanted it at the top but it blocked the CPU bracket) and the system was from start hot and noisy. I replaced the loud Antec K240 original fans with 2 Corsair LL120 fans and added a Noctua NF-P14R fan for push pull in-air configuration (total of 3 fans)

i got two NZTX at the top (The one that came with the case) and another LL120 fan at the rear, all outlets as exhausts.
Average temps are as follow, Idle: CPU - 45, System - 39, GPU - 41. Under gaming: CPU: 57, System: 52, GPU: 76
Noise level: On rest triple the noise of build 2 on load. Under load very noisy, it feels like a washing machine or a freaking Boing 767 is taking off from my PC station.

Both systems were tested on the same conditions so I am really annoyed by the fact that even after upgrades and multiple replacements build 1 (Having a freaking AIO, a twice the price "better" case (NZXT Suck as hell) and a very expensive 6 fans system) can not handle the heat and do the job compared to build 2.

Need your advises what to do next, I feel very disappointed but I must get this system cool and quiet. If it means replacing the AIO and case so shall it be.
Has anyone experienced such issues with a similar system and got it to work?

I think the problem is the AIO radiator in the front of the case. Airflow through the front is not that great and coupled to the radiator it is probably causing a few issues. On top of that the Antec Mercury is not that good. I had the 360mm version and promptly replaced it as it was terrible and in fact the mounting mechanism was not that great. Changed to a the Corsair H150i and all my problems vanished and now have great temps. Not too sure about a good solution as I am surprised you cannot get it installed in the top of the case. Either get another AIO with a slimmer block so that you can go the top mounted route or go for a decent Air Cooler.

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
I think the problem is the AIO radiator in the front of the case. Airflow through the front is not that great and coupled to the radiator it is probably causing a few issues. On top of that the Antec Mercury is not that good. I had the 360mm version and promptly replaced it as it was terrible and in fact the mounting mechanism was not that great. Changed to a the Corsair H150i and all my problems vanished and now have great temps. Not too sure about a good solution as I am surprised you cannot get it installed in the top of the case. Either get another AIO with a slimmer block so that you can go the top mounted route or go for a decent Air Cooler.

Hi thanks for your advise. thing is I really don't wanna waste more money on this rig, I feel like a complete fool having spent too much cash already with no major improvements while I could save the hastle with a different case and a simple air CPU cooling. I can't place at the top because the fan put pressure on the bracket itself which I don't think is good.

Do you think changing the direction of the fans at the front to outlet will improve noise and temps? I can make the rear fan as inlet instead, but yet again I'm not sure it's the right thing to do..

More than understand...I think that would be worth a try. Have the top fans and rear bringing air in and the front extracting through the radiator out....Worth a try...Also as I stated on the Mercury, if you are consistently getting bad temps, it might be a mounting issue and if all else fails, try remounting the CPU block again.

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
You've lost me on the fans in push/pull. You have 140mm redux and Corsair 120mm ?

Maybe a pic of what you have going on in that case...

More than understand...I think that would be worth a try. Have the top fans and rear bringing air in and the front extracting through the radiator out....Worth a try...Also as I stated on the Mercury, if you are consistently getting bad temps, it might be a mounting issue and if all else fails, try remounting the CPU block again.

Thanks guys for your advises. So I've heard some click sounds coming from the top fans today which got me pretty mad (sorry about that) and replaced the NZXT two top fans with the two LL120 fans I've had installed on the radiator. Now the system is much more quiet. temps are as follow: Idle - CPU: 48, System: 37, GPU: 38.

Some pics for your request:

neo kills smith

The Noctua 140mm is installed from the outer side of the radiator as inlet. previously I had two LL120 from the inner part of the radiator also as inlet. As mentioned now I've put them on the top of the case as outlet, so does the rear fan.

Temps still suck but at least the system is much more quiet, guess it's not a good idea to inlet air through the radiator when the fans mounted on the inner side.

I have reinstalled the CPU cooler mount previously but as shown in the pics it's pretty much simply installed and quite secured.

Will the Noctua as single inlet enough? should I put one of the top fans as inlet too?
Would appreciate more advises on how to improve temps.

Last edited:

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Two 120mm fans would do a much better job of keeping cpu temps down than a single 140mm fan on a 120mm wide radiator. You are loosing a lot of air around the sides instead of the pressure pushing it through the radiator. Mixing fans on a radiator, if I am still reading the top correctly will create turbulence which is part of why it was louder.

But in all it just comes down to build differences. Build 2 doesn't have a radiator blowing heat at the video card, the cooler on the 2060 is also better, the Corsair fans while claiming good static pressure are quite loud, and the full ATX case lets more air get to the video card.

Last edited:

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
But, looking at what you have and not wanting to throw more money at it, I would put the Radiator first with two of the 120mm behind it in pull, with just the single 120mm in the rear, leaving the top empty and maybe even covering it up, flip the PSU to draw air from inside the case which will help draw air passed the video card even if it is warmer because it's coming from the radiator. Those changes should help thermals at least on the video card which means less noise from it, and moving the fans in and covering the top and also adjusting fans in bios or software should help the noise.

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Two 120mm fans would do a much better job of keeping cpu temps down than a single 140mm fan on a 120mm wide radiator. You are loosing a lot of air around the sides instead of the pressure pushing it through the radiator. Mixing fans on a radiator, if I am still reading the top correctly will create turbulence which is part of why it was louder.

But in all it just comes down to build differences. Build 2 doesn't have a radiator blowing heat at the video card, the cooler on the 2060 is also better, and the Corsair fans while claiming good static pressure are quite loud.

Yes I agree with all your points but the reason I put that Noctua there and replaced all my fans in the first place was the heat and noise "out of the box". If only I knew that was such an issue I'd go with another case and CPU air cooling. Build 2 case, CPU cooler and fans have cost third the price I paid for this features until now and while getting much better results that's why I'm a bit upset :(

Anyways the average Temps during gaming on my current setup: CPU- 53.3, system- 50.1, GPU - 74
But at least the system is much more quiet than before..

Gonna get soon a 1060 to replace my GPU do you think I could live with those temps?
If not guess my only option is to take another CPU cooler and put two fans for inlet in the front.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
The temps aren't bad, I set up my personal builds to be as quiet as possible while staying under 70. At 74 on the GPU, you are perfectly fine, the noise is the only issue if it is loud enough to bother/annoy you.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
One more thing, is the metal tab on the cooler bracket thin enough to just bend down out of the way of the radiator without damaging the mounting itself so you CAN install in the top ?

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
But, looking at what you have and not wanting to throw more money at it, I would put the Radiator first with two of the 120mm behind it in pull, with just the single 120mm in the rear, leaving the top empty and maybe even covering it up, flip the PSU to draw air from inside the case which will help draw air passed the video card even if it is warmer because it's coming from the radiator. Those changes should help thermals at least on the video card which means less noise from it, and moving the fans in and covering the top and also adjusting fans in bios or software should help the noise.

The temps aren't bad, I set up my personal builds to be as quiet as possible while staying under 70. At 74 on the GPU, you are perfectly fine, the noise is the only issue if it is loud enough to bother/annoy you.

I tried this setup with the radiator and it was very noisy until I put the Noctua fan instead.
Gotta say it's a nice idea but I'd prefer to have fans on top for aesthetics.
If this temps will hold my pc for the coming years without failure then I don't mind the current setup, however even though unhappily I'd rather pay now a dime than replace a gpu or motherboard.

One more thing, is the metal tab on the cooler bracket thin enough to just bend down out of the way of the radiator without damaging the mounting itself so you CAN install in the top ?

I'm not sure as this is actually holds the cooler unit onto the bracket, I remember it being quite strong (maybe steel?) but I guess with a tool and enough force it could be bent. Radiator on top would ease all my issues won't it? :)

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Lucky for me aesthetics is the LAST thing I have concern with. If you'd even call it a concern, to the point where the case I have now is the first windowed case I have owned and only got it because of the deal I found and I've been building about 20 years. As a result, she might not be pretty to some... OK, most, BUT I use open back headphones and only hear it occasionally when Odyssey decides to hit the CPU HARD or if I intentionally listen for it.

Order of importance for me is, silence, performance/temps, price, aesthetics. Silence before performance= I build high end but I don't OC or even have a K sku CPU for my last couple of builds.

Getting the Rad in the top if you can with 2 fans in front should help the GPU some, flipping the PSU would likely help some also, as it is right now you almost have an air pocket around the video card because all those fans for exhaust top and back are drawing all airflow away from it with only the one fan for intake (at the top of the front as well). But, at the same time the cooler on that card is not amazing and 70s might just be where it wants to be, but it would lower fan speed at the very least.

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
Lucky for me aesthetics is the LAST thing I have concern with. If you'd even call it a concern, to the point where the case I have now is the first windowed case I have owned and only got it because of the deal I found and I've been building about 20 years. As a result, she might not be pretty to some... OK, most, BUT I use open back headphones and only hear it occasionally when Odyssey decides to hit the CPU HARD or if I intentionally listen for it.

Order of importance for me is, silence, performance/temps, price, aesthetics. Silence before performance= I build high end but I don't OC or even have a K sku CPU for my last couple of builds.

Getting the Rad in the top if you can with 2 fans in front should help the GPU some, flipping the PSU would likely help some also, as it is right now you almost have an air pocket around the video card because all those fans for exhaust top and back are drawing all airflow away from it with only the one fan for intake (at the top of the front as well). But, at the same time the cooler on that card is not amazing and 70s might just be where it wants to be, but it would lower fan speed at the very least.

I generally agree with your opinion and just as you that's how I built my PCs up till now however not on every case aesthetics has to come on the expenses of performance or silence. imo build 2 looks really nice and clean but yet was quite cheap and performs great. I really like its cpu cooler and case rgb combinations looks awesome :)

Anyhow regarding my build would you advise me to displace the radiator to the top position? Also, should I stick with the Noctua 140mm at the front or replace with the original NZXT fans?

Thanks.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
If you can manage to get the radiator in the top without damaging the mounting system and the original fans weren't bad I would. Noctua IS better (all I have in my build) but with just the one you have the likelihood of just recirculating the air in the front of the case.

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
If you can manage to get the radiator in the top without damaging the mounting system and the original fans weren't bad I would. Noctua IS better (all I have in my build) but with just the one you have the likelihood of just recirculating the air in the front of the case.

Hey I did just that unfortunately during my try of bending the problematic part of the bracket it got broken, I've installed it anyways don't know how critical that is. Also replaced the noctua with the original fans, system a bit less quiet though.. Either way I did not notice any major difference in temps, I'll monitor in detail later on..

Do you think the issue with the bracket could reduce performance? It does feel less well mounted in a sense..

I've got no luck with this build, during all this process my pre installed led strips and the modular ones got somehow faulty and not working anymore. Tried everything so I think they got damaged somehow..😞
Not a biggie but yet another things to add to my disappointment

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
From the angle of the pic all I can really see missing is the top part of the tab that is really only there to make installing easier. As long as there is a decent amount of metal left above were the two pieces meet, it isn't going anywhere.

Did you happen to flip the power supply so it is drawing air from inside the case? I think it will help draw the air coming in passed it.

mana1111

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
From the angle of the pic all I can really see missing is the top part of the tab that is really only there to make installing easier. As long as there is a decent amount of metal left above were the two pieces meet, it isn't going anywhere.

Did you happen to flip the power supply so it is drawing air from inside the case? I think it will help draw the air coming in passed it.

Hey thanks again for your help. So I flip the power supply and made a few tests here are the average temps results:

Idle (no background apps): CPU - 40, System - 35, GPU - 36
Stress (Prime95): CPU - 70.1, system - 34.3, GPU - 37
Gaming: CPU - 55.2, System - 47.8, GPU - 74.

So overall non of the configuration I used improved the performance regarding tepms. moreover the system is much more noisier than with the Noctua fan which I already returned to the store. The most noisier fans are those installed on the radiator.

I ordered a GTX 1060 which should arrive soon so I'll guess it should help but imo since everything I could try did not help there is no other way than to replace the AIO cooler. Your opinion?