[SOLVED] Need help in installing 9th gen cpu in 8th gen mobo

Cmjf 1212

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Hi guys. I have Asus prime h310m-e motherboard which supports Intel 8th gen processors. Installed cpu is Pentium g5400 8th gen. I want to upgrade my cpu from Pentium g5400 8th gen to i5 9600kf 9th gen as i5 8600k is not available and the one available is costly as it ships from USA. Please help me with the steps and give me tips for successfully installing the new cpu. Also will the 450 watt psu be enough if i change the cpu to it 9600kf ?

Specs
Cpu- pentium G5400 8th gen
Gpu- GTX 1050ti
Ram- Corsair vengeance 2 x 4 gb ddr4 2400mhz
Motherboard- Asus prime h310m-e
PSU - antec atom v450 450 watts
Ssd- wester digital wd blue sn 550 nvme 500 gb
Ssd- Kingston A400 240gb
Hdd- 500gb sata hard disk drive

Solution
Using the installed CPU, follow directions on website to update to BIOS 1404.

IDK if that board has the ability to XMP but if so reset that to stock setting before starting the BIOS update(s). After you update you should be able to verify that it took by posting/checking.

After that, power the system down. If your area is prone to static discharge it is probably a good idea to have a grounding strap. Remove the cooler by twisting the top 45* and pulling up the pins. Loosen the retainer lever and gently grab the edges of the old CPU and pull straight up. Be very careful not to drop anything on or into the motherboard socket pins.
There is a little triangle on the CPU that lines up with the similar marking on the mobo. Gently insert the...

rgd1101

Don't
with the 8th gen cpu. update the motherboard bios

Cmjf 1212

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Hi guys. I have Asus prime h310m-e motherboard which supports Intel 8th gen processors. Installed cpu is Pentium g5400 8th gen. I want to upgrade my cpu from Pentium g5400 8th gen to i5 9600kf 9th gen as i5 8600k is not available and the one available is costly as it ships from USA. Please help me with the steps and give me tips for successfully installing the new cpu. Also will the 450 watt psu be enough if i change the cpu to it 9600kf ?

Specs
Cpu- pentium G5400 8th gen
Gpu- GTX 1050ti
Ram- Corsair vengeance 2 x 4 gb ddr4 2400mhz
Motherboard- Asus prime h310m-e
PSU - antec atom v450 450 watts
Ssd- wester digital wd blue sn 550 nvme 500 gb
Ssd- Kingston A400 240gb
Hdd- 500gb sata hard disk drive

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Using the installed CPU, follow directions on website to update to BIOS 1404.

IDK if that board has the ability to XMP but if so reset that to stock setting before starting the BIOS update(s). After you update you should be able to verify that it took by posting/checking.

After that, power the system down. If your area is prone to static discharge it is probably a good idea to have a grounding strap. Remove the cooler by twisting the top 45* and pulling up the pins. Loosen the retainer lever and gently grab the edges of the old CPU and pull straight up. Be very careful not to drop anything on or into the motherboard socket pins.
There is a little triangle on the CPU that lines up with the similar marking on the mobo. Gently insert the CPU in the correct alignment and make sure it is seated correctly. Put the bracket/lever back down to retain the CPU. Apply a small bit of thermal paste, generally around a pea sized bit (if needed, your new cooler may have it already) and then place the cooler over the CPU and push down on the pins on the four corners to seat it back into the brackets on the motherboard. Plug your cooler fan into the CPU fan header (which should be the one you removed the previous fan from). Boot system. Enjoy.

Solution