[SOLVED] Need help in mounting CPU fan into Motherboard

Apr 6, 2021
Don't mind how dirty it is because I am going to be replacing the casing today and that's why I need help.

See those 2 holes under where the fan screws are, I have no idea what to do because the screws wont reach there. Also there is really nothing under those holes either, just the casing.

if anyone can give me a guide on what to do such as what screws I will need, will be much appreciated

View: https://i.imgur.com/FWSCg6s.jpg

Solution
I sort of do remember something like that, oh yeah does it look like a cross of some sort? If so I do have it somewhere, if that is the one then what type of screws do I need tho for this
Yes there are brackets that look like a cross.
That's probably it.
As far as screws....those thumbscrews in the cooler may screw right into it.
Apr 6, 2021
You appear to be missing hardware.

Usually there is a backing plate....or some sort of mounting bosses.

Some coolers I have mounted would work with those holes (they have a push type expanding pin and you don't need bosses or a backing plate)....

but it doesn't look to me like the one that you have will without additional hardware.
I sort of do remember something like that, oh yeah does it look like a cross of some sort? If so I do have it somewhere, if that is the one then what type of screws do I need tho for this

Apr 6, 2021
Was the cooler mounted properly on this board prior to this picture?

What brand/ model cooler is this?
What brand/ model motherboard?

Looks like you've got a cooler that doesn't support this particular socket.
I had a different cooler before, one of the old AMD FX cooler but it was preinstalled to this.

My motherboard is B350 PC MATE
And CPU Cooler is a Ryzen Wraithcooler

See those 2 holes under where the fan screws are, I have no idea what to do because the screws wont reach there. Also there is really nothing under those holes either, just the casing.
I agree you'll need a backplate as it appears to be missing.

Something like this which has the two clip brackets (they're attached to the backplate with two screws each) for a different method of attaching coolers. The Wraithe cooler you have won't need the two clip brackets but if you upgrade you might as other AM4 coolers need them.

Reactions: Krotow