Need help in Overclocking

The reviving pun

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
Hi so i just built a new rig and have an i7 6700k cpu with a a gigabyte ga z170 hd3p mobo. As the title says, I need some advice on how to overclock my cpu and gpu (msi gtx 1070 aero 8g oc edition). Is there any specific software i should use or should i go straight to the bios? If yes, then what do i do at the bios? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
(Overclocking newbie here)

Solution
Power limit: adjusts the temperature point that the GPU core will throttle. Throttling is where the core frequency drops on its own to lower the temperature.
Core frequency: the actual frequency the GPU core runs at. Adjust by 10 MHz at a time testing each time till errors appear then lower by 1 MHz till errors stop.
Shader frequency: this is an internal computational component in the GPU, effect gaming ability also. Adjust the same way as the Core frequency. Best to adjust this separately, Asyncronous. There is a setting for this in the settings for afterburner.
Memory frequency: this is like ram frequency. Adjust the same way as the core and shader settings testing each time. testing is very important and can...
first and foremost you need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Without this you will not get very far overclocking since heat will be an issue.

Once you have a descent aftermarket cooler then you can enter the bios and one step at a time up the CPU multiplier to increase the CPU clock testing each time to ensure stability. once instability happens you can up the Vcore voltage by 0.05 testing each time till stability returns.

also need to watch CPU temps so they don't go to high, also be cautious adding voltage not to go to high as to much voltage and heat can hurt your CPU.

GPU over clocking I like MSI afterburner myself, here use OCCT's GPU test with error checking enabled to test the over clock following the same procedure as the CPU minus the voltage. only up the clock speeds one at a time.

The reviving pun

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

I have a corsair h115i aio water cooler. And thanks for your cpu oc ing advice. However, can you go more in depth into oc ing with msi afterburner? I do not fully understand what the values displayed in it mean. thanks :)
Edit: Also, how do i check system stability after raising the cpu multiplier?

Power limit: adjusts the temperature point that the GPU core will throttle. Throttling is where the core frequency drops on its own to lower the temperature.
Core frequency: the actual frequency the GPU core runs at. Adjust by 10 MHz at a time testing each time till errors appear then lower by 1 MHz till errors stop.
Shader frequency: this is an internal computational component in the GPU, effect gaming ability also. Adjust the same way as the Core frequency. Best to adjust this separately, Asyncronous. There is a setting for this in the settings for afterburner.
Memory frequency: this is like ram frequency. Adjust the same way as the core and shader settings testing each time. testing is very important and can not be skimped on.

Use Prime95 and Intel Burn Test to test CPU stability.
Prime95: run the Blend test for 2 hours to start, then once you have the desired OC then test for 12 hours.
Intel Burn Test: run this program 10 run on maximum stress till you get the OC you want then test for 20 runs at maximum stress for final stability test.

Why 2 tests? because there are times an error will slip through on one program but the other will catch it. This is why the redundancy. OCing will take a few weeks of testing and tweaking to finish but well worth it.

Solution

The reviving pun

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016

Thanks a lot! One more question, how would you recommend i test my gpu stability?

OH, I though I mentioned this but must not have. Use OOCT's GPU test with error checking enabled. If it errors it will tell you but the program will stay running so stay by the PC when testing.

Do not use any other test in OCCT as they are unreliable but the GPU test works wonderfully.