Question Need help in reduceing high temp on i7-2600k 3.4ghz (Stock)

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
So ive recently bought cooler for the cpu as temps where going above 80c, xilence I402. looking at the specs of it i thought it would easily cool it, but when i looked at the temperature playing fortnite on it i saw it going up to 70-73c max. is that normal for this cpu? cause iam kinda confused why this happens :/

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Temps aren't extreme but it can be better at stock speeds + turbo. Your cooler is capable of dissipating heat from a cpu operating up to 130w. 2600k at peak usage runs around 128w so the hsf is doing ok. An 180w cooler like the Hyper 212 would see better temps but also factor in case air flow and ambient temps.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Temps aren't extreme but it can be better at stock speeds + turbo. Your cooler is capable of dissipating heat from a cpu operating up to 130w. 2600k at peak usage runs around 128w so the hsf is doing ok. An 180w cooler like the Hyper 212 would see better temps but also factor in case air flow and ambient temps.
i have turbo mode enabled and i didnt overclock the cpu, should i play with these temps or change the cooler tho :/

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
73c is fine. Start getting worried if it reaches high 80s.

What case have you got?
i dont know it's name i bought this pc like 5-6 year ago ( i3-3220 , 4gb ram, H61M-E, integrated graphics) and upgraded to my current i7-2600k gtx 750 ti 8gb ram ddr3 afterwards. also planning to increase ram to atleast 12 and replace gpu with 1070 8gb

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Does it have intake/exhaust fans? That's all i wanted to know regarding case air flow. Would help a lot to move warm air quicker especially with a 1070. Else, open it up and have a desk fan or something.

With your ram, it'll be better to get a packaged set of 2x8gb in complete dual channel for better performance and not be in flex mode with odd sets, that's if mixing ram works. It appears mixing has worked for you but there is still a chance another stick wont.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Does it have intake/exhaust fans? That's all i wanted to know regarding case air flow. Would help a lot to move warm air quicker especially with a 1070. Else, open it up and have a desk fan or something.

With your ram, it'll be better to get a packaged set of 2x8gb in complete dual channel for better performance and not be in flex mode with odd sets, that's if mixing ram works. It appears mixing has worked for you but there is still a chance another stick wont.
can you help? after playing like 2 hour and a half it starts freezing in fortnite,overwatch, all games basically and when i touched the case it was hot af and i got scared lmao whats the problem

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Seems like temps? What are they? Has your system done this before the hsf swap?
i found out actually its the case that fucks everything up... when i opened it and rebooted pc temps were much lower than before, 47-50 lol i guess thats because of lack of the front fans upper and back fans. guess i have to spend more money on buying case now lmao, btw it never happend before, just after upgrading processor.