Need help in regards to getting a Gaming PC.

TheOnlyMuckly

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
I want to build a custom Gaming PC this Summer, and I've learned a lot about building PC from watching tutorials on YouTube over the past year. So much in fact that I'd be comfortable putting a PC together myself. My parents are against this idea however, and are wary that the computer would somehow implode and would become an overpriced paperweight. This is pretty ridiculous I know; something breaking for no reason, but that's their stance. They insist that I either I get a PC from Alienware (overpriced unreliable garbage) or order the PC parts online and get someone in the local area it build it for me (un-needed cost, plus the fact that this professional could screw up and leave us with the aforementioned paperweight)

The reason for them wanting me to get the Alienware or the professional to assemble the parts is so there would be the Alienware warranty/ the professionals knowledge.

What do you guys think I should do?
I'm 16 and know the processes of building a PC.

You can build it yourself. Show your parents that you can build a computer without breaking it. Now, use an anti-static wrist band. ESD can screw completely your whole computer in a second.

Now, what is your maximum budget?

TheOnlyMuckly

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
I'm pretty sure what hardware I want.
AMD A-10 7850k most important, then the all important 2133 MHz RAM for it.
No discreet GPU needed. So €550 for the case, PSU, Motherboard, HDD, Windows 7, RAM and CPU, CPU cooler. Ordering the separate parts off of Amazon. Shipping must also be added.

Maximum budget however can be €800 for everything including shipping.

BlasterX

Reputable
Feb 23, 2014
You should tell your parents that building a PC is simple, gives you freedom on customization and it's cheaper most of the time, and if parents think about warranty & customer service, tell them, that most of the individual components have 3 or more years of warranty, which is more than an OEM offers!
When people with no computer knowledge look into computers inside, they think it's hard, dangerous and complex like hell. That's what I thought a few years ago as well. You can show them videos, articles or even just images about DIY computers

And very important, you must choose parts wisely if you want to show your parents that you can build computers.
The PSU choice is important, because that can burn down your house, and make sure you don't buy oversized ATX towers that parents may not like, and also make sure it won't be loud or too hot.
And if you haven't used already, use pcpartpicker.com, the best tool for building your PC, checking compatibility and controlling your budget.

And btw. You can build a better PC than using AMD A10-7850K APU and DDR3-2133MHz RAM. You are wasting too much money on the AMD APU which doesn't deliver that great graphics and CPU performance, then you're paying 20-30 euros more for the RAM for faster APU performance, which you could otherwise just get 1600 Mhz RAM for less money, and use the saved money for a better GPU which beats the APU.

And a question: What games are you going to play?

TRENDING THREADS