Question Need Help In Unclocking My I9-11900K

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I have an I9-11900K CPU riding on a Z590-E Motherboard. So why do I need to underclock the chip so that my temps will stay low even at idle? For example, I could have 3% Utilization going, and my clock is doing 5100MHz. Not to mention that my temps are at 44C. My poor Chipset is riding at 60C. Does anyone have good directions on how to do this, as I've never underclocked or overclocked any of my CPUs before? The only two games I play are Risk and World of Warships, and World of Warship loves to eat at my CPU. If no one has any suggestions or at least a comment on how to solve my problem.

Thanks

I have an I9-11900K CPU riding on a Z590-E Motherboard. So why do I need to underclock the chip so that my temps will stay low even at idle? For example, I could have 3% Utilization going, and my clock is doing 5100MHz. Not to mention that my temps are at 44C. My poor Chipset is riding at 60C. Does anyone have good directions on how to do this, as I've never underclocked or overclocked any of my CPUs before? The only two games I play are Risk and World of Warships, and World of Warship loves to eat at my CPU. If no one has any suggestions or at least a comment on how to solve my problem.

Thanks
It's turbo stepping for the chipset in the bios, and your CPU is fine it's not exceeding 72c which most cpus will with turbo stepping enabled I don't know why you think that's bad for it but your CPU is doing better then 90% of systems I know on temps

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I had someone comment that my thermals were high at 3% clock speed. They couldn't advise on how to lower my clock speed, and suggestion that I go and find an underclocker who can help with this.

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Okay, one last question for the night. On the chipset, at what temp should I worry about then? I just ran Cinebench 23, and I noticed that my temp got up to 70C all cores at 100% and my chipset got up to 60.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In regard to the original post.

What case and what cooler are you using?

Additional case fans?

What is ambient?

Check to see if TBT/TVB is set as enabled or not for the mobo you are using. I have found that 'stock' clocks still run to 5.1+ on this CPU and that power and temp go quickly out of comfortable range with the thermal boost enabled unless you have both exceptional CPU cooling and case air flow.

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window Cases PH-ES614P_BK,Black, with 3 140mm fans on top, 2 140mm fans in front and 1 140mm fans in the back. The type of cooler I'm using is the Noctua NH-D15s with 1 120mm high static fan. The ambient room temp is around 77F.
This TBT/TVB where is this located so that I can check it out and what should it be?

Thanks

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Turbo Boost Technology and the other you found was Thermal Velocity Boost.

In my own mobo it is basically all under one setting under the OC menu (area) and can be set to Enabled and Enabled 284W (or similar, I would have to look). The default is disabled.

As I am sure you are aware the 11900K are all binned and pretty much the same CPU as the 11700K, which caught Intel a lot of flak. The above "tech" basically allows the CPU to ignore standard power limits to boost even higher when thermals and power delivery allow it. The assorted mobo manufacturers have various power management scheme as a part of their "high end" Z series mobo anyway so having it off or on is certain to change thermal characteristics.
Another thing I found a bit confusing with mine (MSI Z590I Unify) was that when enabling XMP it options for two slightly different setting in which one of them is changing CLMK (IIRC) which effects the entire thermal and power envelope in itself. I cannot run with that setting on because even with an AIO and what I would consider extreme amount of fan/air flow the system will idle into the 60's and very quickly go high 90-100 on a load while fans are all screaming away like a drone in flight.

I opted to leave the TBT setting disabled, use the XMP that is 2933 rather than 3000 + the CLMK adjust, and CPU idles at 30-33 and under all but synthetic load doesn't exceed the 60's. House ambient is ~24C.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Turbo Boost Technology and the other you found was Thermal Velocity Boost.

In my own mobo it is basically all under one setting under the OC menu (area) and can be set to Enabled and Enabled 284W (or similar, I would have to look). The default is disabled.

As I am sure you are aware the 11900K are all binned and pretty much the same CPU as the 11700K, which caught Intel a lot of flak. The above "tech" basically allows the CPU to ignore standard power limits to boost even higher when thermals and power delivery allow it. The assorted mobo manufacturers have various power management scheme as a part of their "high end" Z series mobo anyway so having it off or on is certain to change thermal characteristics.
Another thing I found a bit confusing with mine (MSI Z590I Unify) was that when enabling XMP it options for two slightly different setting in which one of them is changing CLMK (IIRC) which effects the entire thermal and power envelope in itself. I cannot run with that setting on because even with an AIO and what I would consider extreme amount of fan/air flow the system will idle into the 60's and very quickly go high 90-100 on a load while fans are all screaming away like a drone in flight.

I opted to leave the TBT setting disabled, use the XMP that is 2933 rather than 3000 + the CLMK adjust, and CPU idles at 30-33 and under all but synthetic load doesn't exceed the 60's. House ambient is ~24C.
I actually never would have thought about this in my life, I just tried this on my lab system and it boosted performance by 12% thank you.

Reactions: punkncat

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hey punkncat, I'm glad what you wrote helped someone out, as for me, as I'm not an OC person, and I don't care to blow my system to heaven, I was lost. Maybe afterwards I'll read it again and try and understand it.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I actually never would have thought about this in my life, I just tried this on my lab system and it boosted performance by 12% thank you.

I agree in that I see a substantial gain from having it on, just that in my own case it brings temps too high and uses well more power than I prepared for on the current PSU. This is a "future" gain I will implement at some point down the road.

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Okay punkncat - I re-read what your last post to me and I'm still lost. I was kind of hoping for someone to tell me, should I enable it, disenable it or leave it on auto. Not to mention, I have to clue where the TVB is on my BIOS. Care to share?
Thanks

Okay punkncat - I re-read what your last post to me and I'm still lost. I was kind of hoping for someone to tell me, should I enable it, disenable it or leave it on auto. Not to mention, I have to clue where the TVB is on my BIOS. Care to share?
Thanks
You need to disable it on your system I'm not sure where or how to on yours, however if your the type of person that just browses the internet or plays games you don't need TVB ENABLED it "won't get used" in a since there maybe a few things that can take advantage of it but won't do anything to actually help. It just tells your system go ahead for a moment and over spike in temp for like 30s to do a over abundance of rendering or calculating which will cause the system to die faster

timlab1955

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
It's turbo stepping for the chipset in the bios, and your CPU is fine it's not exceeding 72c which most cpus will with turbo stepping enabled I don't know why you think that's bad for it but your CPU is doing better then 90% of systems I know on temps
I was looking through my BOIS tonight and saw this: Intel Speedstep, Intel Speed Shift Technology, Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology and Turbo Mode. I changed the Intel Speed Shift Technology to disable and sure enough it lower all the cores, didn't consume that much power and everything was going great. However, I changed it back because I wanted to make sure I got the right one. In addition to this, I ran Cinebench 23 and lost about 3 positions from where it normal lands out. I also noticed that when I put windows into high power, it still when up to 5.1Ghz. But with that change I did, I actually hoping that I did the right one as I have two of them. Again, all I want to do is play World of Warships and Risk, look on the net, do my website and basically that is it. World of Warships takes a lot of power.
THanks