[SOLVED] Need help in upgrading RAM

Jul 21, 2021
So I own a Asus X412DA Vivobook. It already has 8 GB of ram (4GB DDR4 2400MHz + 4GB DDR4 2667MHz) inbuilt with an option to upgrade the second stick. It uses a AMD 3500U processor, which I believe supports upto 32GB of ram, but capped at 2400 MHz. I just have a few queries before I decide if I should upgrade the ram.

1. Will this increase the VRAM of my laptop? Right now 2GB of Ram is being used as dedicated GPU memory. But the Total Available graphics memory is 5093 MB from the Adapter information window. (it uses AMD Vega 8 Graphics, if thats relevant)
  2. I'm thinking of upgrading the second stick to either 8GB or 16GB of RAM. What will this exactly achieve? I mean, if I use a 8GB stick, will the system use only 4(inbuilt)+4(of the 8gb added) in dual channel and use the rest 4 (of the 8gb) in single channel? Will this remaining 4gb of ram be used as vram? Is there any sense in upgrading with a 16GB stick? I was considering that as the price difference is not much, but if it doesn't add any meaningful performance upgrade, I will just go with 8GB ram.

I am a Masters student and I use my laptop on a daily basis. I like the current quick bootup and performance as a whole. Will upgrading the ram make it slow in anyway? (I feel dumb asking this, but I never upgraded laptop, so want to know the general consensus).

Solution
So I own a Asus X412DA Vivobook. It already has 8 GB of ram (4GB DDR4 2400MHz + 4GB DDR4 2667MHz) inbuilt with an option to upgrade the second stick. It uses a AMD 3500U processor, which I believe supports upto 32GB of ram, but capped at 2400 MHz. I just have a few queries before I decide if I should upgrade the ram.

1. Will this increase the VRAM of my laptop? Right now 2GB of Ram is being used as dedicated GPU memory. But the Total Available graphics memory is 5093 MB from the Adapter information window. (it uses AMD Vega 8 Graphics, if thats relevant)
  2. I'm thinking of upgrading the second stick to either 8GB or 16GB of RAM. What will this exactly achieve? I mean, if I use a 8GB stick, will the system use only...

2. I'm thinking of upgrading the second stick to either 8GB or 16GB of RAM. What will this exactly achieve? I mean, if I use a 8GB stick, will the system use only 4(inbuilt)+4(of the 8gb added) in dual channel and use the rest 4 (of the 8gb) in single channel? Will this remaining 4gb of ram be used as vram? Is there any sense in upgrading with a 16GB stick? I was considering that as the price difference is not much, but if it doesn't add any meaningful performance upgrade, I will just go with 8GB ram.
I am a Masters student and I use my laptop on a daily basis. I like the current quick bootup and performance as a whole. Will upgrading the ram make it slow in anyway? (I feel dumb asking this, but I never upgraded laptop, so want to know the general consensus).
That much upgrade of ram should not be worth it that much, since how ryzen favor dual channel and high speed ram. 4gb onboard + 4gb stick is pretty much ideal. you could go as far as 4+16gbs but the performance would not be ideal at all :D

Solution
Jul 21, 2021
That much upgrade of ram should not be worth it that much, since how ryzen favor dual channel and high speed ram. 4gb onboard + 4gb stick is pretty much ideal. you could go as far as 4+16gbs but the performance would not be ideal at all :D
Thanks for letting me know it would not be ideal, but can you answer any of the two questions I posted: either about the vram increase or the other one. Also, if you could explain how exactly it wouldn't be ideal, it would be of some relevance.

Unless your using all the 8GB of ram you have now adding more ram won't help much.
In theory you will run 4+4 in dual channel and the rest in single channel.
As for vram allocation I have no idea.