Question Need help installing a new Thermaltake ToughPower Grand RGB 850W 80 plus gold power supply

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Im trying to install a new Thermaltake ToughPower Grand RGB 850W 80 Plus Gold power supply. My existing one is a Corsair RM850x. My issue is the new one does not have the same options for different style power interfaces. What is my best way to go about it? Do i have to remove a bunch of wires from my pc and install new power wires or which ones have to be swapped out? I just know its not as simple as removing one and just plugging it all into the new one. Also which ones should i definitely not plug into the wrong spot but they would fit? its just going to be a ton of work to remove wiring i have hard tube liquid cooling and a lot of components in my build so id like to try to keep what ever i can for the power wires.

If someone could please look at a image of the 2 power supplies and see the difference with the options for power and any suggestions to help would greatly be appreciated.

DSzymborski

Titan
Im trying to install a new Thermaltake ToughPower Grand RGB 850W 80 Plus Gold power supply. My existing one is a Corsair RM850x. My issue is the new one does not have the same options for different style power interfaces. What is my best way to go about it? Do i have to remove a bunch of wires from my pc and install new power wires or which ones have to be swapped out? I just know its not as simple as removing one and just plugging it all into the new one. Also which ones should i definitely not plug into the wrong spot but they would fit? its just going to be a ton of work to remove wiring i have hard tube liquid cooling and a lot of components in my build so id like to try to keep what ever i can for the power wires.

If someone could please look at a image of the 2 power supplies and see the difference with the options for power and any suggestions to help would greatly be appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean about "different style power interfaces." The power connectors (CPU, motherboard, PCIE, SATA) are quite standard.

But you do have to use the cables that come with the Thermaltake. Modular cables are not universal. If you even got the Corsair ones to fit in the Thermaltake PSU, you may no longer be the owner of a PC when you tried turning it on. All the cables.

You can't use Corsair DC cables with a Thermaltake PSU.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Why do you replace a great PSU for a lesser one?
Because i think the Corsair psu may be faulty. I had a mishap when hooking up a rgb controller. i was hooking it up and connected the wrong power interface. i didnt hook it up with a sata connection i hooked it up with the other one that is the same but not the sata and it burned out the controller and i think it may have done something to the corsair psu so i wanted to replace it.

Because i think the Corsair psu may be faulty. I had a mishap when hooking up a rgb controller. i was hooking it up and connected the wrong power interface. i didnt hook it up with a sata connection i hooked it up with the other one that is the same but not the sata and it burned out the controller and i think it may have done something to the corsair psu so i wanted to replace it.

No. You only fried the RGB controller. The PSU is likely unphased. That's what protections are for.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
"i didnt hook it up with a sata connection i hooked it up with the other one that is the same but not the sata"

What does this mean? What is the "one that is the same?" If you didn't hook it up properly, it obviously wasn't the same.
no, there is another type of power connection that is not sata but it is the same shape and size and fits the sata connection. The sata connections all say sata on the connection this one did not and burnt the controller out right away. i was told it is a different power interface.

DSzymborski

Titan
no, there is another type of power connection that is not sata but it is the same shape and size and fits the sata connection. The sata connections all say sata on the connection this one did not and burnt the controller out right away. i was told it is a different power interface.

Who told you this?

The only connectors that fit into your SATA devices are the SATA devices.

Anyway, the lack of specificity makes giving advice difficult. Can you at least provide pictures?

Why is the Corsair RM850x better then the Thermaltake one?

Better quality parts. Though the Thermaltake is fine; it's not junk-tier like some of the low-end Thermaltake PSUs.