Need help installing ATI Catalyst Control Center, Please.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
So here's the story:

I had an nVidia 9500 GS and an nVidia Chipset motherboard. My mother board died and I switched to a gigabyte G31M-ES2L (installed at the store). I then decided to upgrade my graphics card to a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5770. I had them install it at the store I bought it at and apparently they also didn't get rid of all the old drivers. They were only able to install only hydravision, an older driver (2009) from gigabyte's website and the audio drivers... but no catalyst control center.

Still have "nVidia Control Panel" and "Storage" on my comp for some odd reason. Despite the fact that none of the nVidia drivers or control panel, etc... appear in the add/remove programs list.

I tried reading the forums and doing it myself, so I deleted the ATI Catalyst Installer via "add/remove programs" and then used Driver Sweeper, in safe mode, to delete the nVidia display drivers (but not the nVidia Chipset and PhysX drivers, do I need to delete them? I am afraid to and mess up my computer).

Downloaded the 5770 driver from the gigabyte website, the installer installed hydra and audio but no driver so I used windows to search for the drivers manually on my computer and I was able to find and update to the gigabyte 8.702.0.0 (02/02/2010) driver. So I have the driver but still no CCC.

I really would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Here is a screen shot of what driver sweeper is still finding
DriverSweeper.jpg

Remove all GeForce 9500GS drivers if they are still there, and then install the HD 5770 10.4 Catalyst drivers from AMD's website. I'd say delete the PhysX drivers if they came with the GeForce 9500GS, but not the chipset.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thanks for your reply.

I have already removed the 9500 GS display drivers. The thing about the PhysX and chipset drivers is that I am not sure which they are connected to , I had both a nvidia chipset motherboard and a nVidia GPU...but now I have neither.

I have already tried deleted both the ATI and nVidia display drivers and reinstalling the ATI ones and it doesn't install CCC in the end.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
It has to install CCC. Your obviously downloading the driver only and not the driver/ccc package.

The physix drivers came from a game you likely installed. I have them on my computer as well and I have never had anything Nvidia installed on it.

Yes I would delete all Nvidia anything. Then delete all ATI stuff. Then download the catalyst control center/driver package. It's the one that's like 75mb.

Thanks for your reply.

Here is the driver I downloaded from Gigabyte's website: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/VGA/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3283&ver=#anchor_os

Its 113.91 MB so it must have the CCC in it. Every time I install it it doesn't install the driver. I would click "update drivers" from the "device manager" and than search for the driver in the AMD folder the failed CCC install created and viola, a driver but no CCC :(

So you think all I need to do is delete all the nvidia drivers left over from the chipset and physX?

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Why are you downloading your ATI driver from Gigabyte??

http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

10.4 72.3gb

I have a GIGABYTE ATI HD 5770 and someone told me that its better to download the GPU manufacturers drivers because they are "proven" to work. and also in Gigabytes user manual it says: "Please only use Gigabyte BIOS. Using non-gigabyte BIOS may cause problems." (are the GPU'S BIOS the same as the driver?)

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I just tried it again. cleared out all the ati and nvidia stuff with add/remove and drive sweeper. Reinstalled the Driver that you (zipzoomflyhigh's) recommended and still no CCC!

I am going nuts. So using windows "update drivers" I scanned my comp and installed gigabytes driver again by itself. And guess what! my nVidia display drivers are back from the dead!

I did however find Three interesting folders in my "computer" on the C:/ drive: "DRV" which contains more folders including a folder named "VGA", which has two more folders "ATI" and "nVidia" a load of files that the add/remove and driver sweeper did not touch. The other folder is called "AMD" and contains an empty subfolder labled "overdrive".

Last, but not least are two full ATI folders with lots of stuff in them.

Do these need to be deleted and how can one delete these so that I can install CCC and there wont be "leftovers" which cause a conflict?

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
LOL, that's the funniest thing I heard all day. Gigabyte doesn't make the graphics chip. ATI/AMD does. The reason windows found an update to the Gigabyte driver is because the Gigabyte driver is old. That's why you get the latest one from ATI/AMD.

I can't help you at this point. If you used driversweeper properly, there would not be ANY ATI/NVidia folders on your computer, period. Until you figure that out, I don't know what to tell you. I have never had a problem installing the driver/ccc package with either of my ATI cards.

I am glad that I made you laugh. I know that the graphics chip made by ATI. I did use it but apparently when the tech took out the nvidia card he didn't uninstall the drivers properly and I had an old version of ATI CCC which didn't get 100% deleted. As I have said I have located a number of ATI/AMD/DRV(with both ATI & nVidia) folders on my C:/ and in the "program files" folder. Can I just delete these? or do they need to be deleted in a special way so that they are "purged"?

Apparently the drivers put themselves into different folders and file paths (I did not change them). I have two "ATI" folders (one on the C and one in Prog Files), two AMD folders (one on the C and one in Prog Files), an ATI technologies folder in Program Files, a DRV folder that contains a VGA folder with both ATI and nVidia folders and a partridge in a pear tree. When i run add remove and driver sweeper it only deletes The ATI Tech... folder and maybe one of the AMD folders I think.

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Delete everything you can find ATI or Nvidia or Ntune or Rivatuner.

Of course driver sweeper should have already done this for you.

Then reboot and install the ATI driver/ccc package. Its about 72mb.

Make sure you download the right one for you OS. Then re-boot.

First I'll go to add/remove delete ATI stuff, then driver sweeper and then You mean, that anything "leftover" I should delete normally like go to the C: and delete the folders I found with the ATI and nvidia stuff?

Finally reinstall. Can i leave my monitor attached to the ATI GPU or should I use the on-board VGA while doing this?

There are some nVidia things in the system32, what about those?

Thank you for your help.

phoenixsb5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
i think u should change ur windows and format ur hard drive { Drive C only }
then it will be ok !!

i had the same problem... it solved when i changed the windows !!

Phoenix

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thank you for the suggestion.

It looks like i will do just that, Format and upgrade to windows 7. A lot of people have been suggested this to me. I hope it works :)

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
One more question: I am going to format my computer.

Since I am getting win 7 Upgrade (as opposed to the full version) I will reinstall win vista and then install the win 7 upgrade? correct?

at what point should I install the drivers after I install vista or after win 7?

do I need to take the GPU out of the computer?

Thanks

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, you'll have to install Vista first.
Do not install drivers until after the Windows 7 upgrade installation is complete.
You do not need to uninstall the GPU for any part of the installation.

-Wolf sends

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thank you wolf :)

faune

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

It looks like it will take a bit more time until I can receive win7 :(

In the meantime can I format, reinstall vista, then drivers? and then install the win 7 upgrade and reinstall the win 7 drivers when I finally get win 7?

Or should I wait?

I just want to see if the card will work properly or if I have to return it or RMA it etc...

Thanks

Wolfshadw

Titan
You should be able to get your system up and running completely with Vista (including installing the graphics card and drivers). When you get Windows 7, then upgrade with the card installed.

-Wolf sends

TRENDING THREADS