Need help installing Java in FreeNAS server.

8bitloser

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Im very new to linux and everything i find when searching is kinda complicated and is meant for more experienced linux users and i am not one of those. The reason I want to install java is im wanting to run my minecraft server that i run for me a few friends. Im also new to freenas. Got it set up today for the first time. I ,if it matters, am running windows 7. So i guess if someone knows i would also like to know how to run the minecraft server on it. I do know how to run it in windows and i even managed one hosted on a server, though it had a control panel so i didnt actual run it using terminal commands

Any help?

8bitloser

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Ok well that helps a little but How do i install. Everything says type in _______ First of all where do i type it in and what commands do i need to use? not a single thing will tell you how. everything assumes you've used linux a lot and i havent at all (besides installing ubuntu). So do i type the commands into the actuall server itself or is there a Terminal in the webUI?

all the commands that websites give you like:

$ shutdown now
or
# finger bill@gates.com

are meant to be typed into a terminal. It doesn't matter weather you are logged into the terminal locally, or are remotely accessing the terminal via telnet or ssh, it is the same.

The Web utility is very good but only lets you administer the basics. If you need to do work on your FreeNAS box then really you need to set-up a secure shell connection. This is basically the ability to open a terminal window on your Windows 7 PC and then connect to the FN box and type commands as if you were sat at the FN box.

The first thing you need to do is install a SSH (Secure SHell) client on your Win7 box, a common favourite is Putty:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

Just download PuTTY.exe and run it on your PC. It opens an application Window where you can enter the IP of the FN box and set-up the connection. Once you have this working you will get a screen a lot like a DOS command prompt window, it's in this window that you need to type the commands listed in the articles I linked to.

kbryant24

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Hi, this tutorial shows how to setup a Minecraft server on FreeNAS 8: http://tapalla.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/setup-a-minecraft-server-on-your-freenas/