Need Help installing new SSD correctly??

Benmanson97

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
My new 850 EVO SSD just arrived, and I'm super excited. I want to install it as soon as I can, I'm just not sure how to go about it. I know there are lots of guides and step by step tutorials out there, but I can never seem to be sure of myself. I currently have Windows 8.1 installed on a 1TB WD Blue HDD, and want to do a CLEAN install on the SSD. However, I want to keep all of my current files on the HDD. It's 85% filled with music and a couple of games, and I don't currently have a backup of anything. The other problem is that windows has been doing some weird things recently, so that is why I want to do a clean install. Is this possible? If so, could someone guide me through it, or possibly find me a really good link you know I can trust that can? Thanks!

EDIT: I can copy my music to an external Hard Drive if absolutely necessary, but the External HDD is only 500GB, so it won't hold everything. I would rather reinstall the games completely than copy them to the SSD as well.

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
The simple way is to (while the pc is unplugged) disconnect the sata cables from the HDD and connect new cables to the SSD. Install windows onto the SSD and once you are in install all of your updates drivers and games. After you are done, power it off and reconnect your HDD. Set your BIOS to boot from the SSD first. You should now be able to access your HDD from the OS in your new SSD.

Benmanson97

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Benmanson97

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
That won't interfere with the OS on the HDD? And do I want my video card drivers on the SSD as well then? I have a gtx 770, would that boost gaming performance in any way? Would the drivers interfere from the HDD if I did that?

Illumynization

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Naturally the OS being on the SSD; will look for graphic drivers on the C:\ which is the SSD. It does not know what is on the HDD. I would suggest deleting everything you dont need from the HDD once you are fully swapped over.