[SOLVED] Need help installing Windows 10 on newly build pc

Feb 17, 2020
Hi all, I just build my first pc ever and I think everything is working fine, however I can't seem to install Windows 10. I've been watching hours upon hours to try to see if the "getting files" percentage would move up (it never did after 3 hours of waiting) and I feel like I just messed up everything. I don't know what to do when I get to the partition part. It won't let me install Windows on my ssd (partition 3) (see pic) when I was at my friend's how the "getting files" thing got at a certain percentage as well, however it blue screened and was talking about some watchdogs thing. Ever since I got home and I'm trying to figure out how to boot this, it hasn't blue screened but I just feel like I'm so lost. It's so exhausting to stay up just to see if this [redacted] wants to work or not. I would appreciate the help Images

[mod edit - language]

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Disconnect the 2TB Seagate until after Windows is installed.

Reset the Bios then go back in and
  • Bios mode is set to uefi
  • CSM is disabled
  • enable XMP and set the frequency to 2666. XMP should set the 1.35v Corsairs typically use.

If you have a Memtest86 boot disk, then run it and make sure it passes as already suggested.

Then Boot the Windows USB installed but not by setting it as the boot disk. Use the Boot Override F-key, shown at the same time the option to enter the bios is shown, to select it and boot the option that starts with UEFI: and is your flash drive.

During windows install, if your SSD isn't presented on the Where to install to screen then click Drive Options, delete all the existing partitions...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: Lutfij
Feb 17, 2020
image 1 = Answer to this question is delete all partitions on drive and click next.

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

See if that can fix the problem.

Before you install anything, remove all the drives except for the drive you want 10 on as otherwise it might use the empty space on the other drive as the location of its boot partition.
just did that, let's see if it works. RN it's just stuck at 1% on getting files ready.

Feb 17, 2020
Hi, I just restarted it after I got the blue screen and this what happens. It's just an endless loop of this now where if I hit control alt delete, it just asks for it again. Images my specs are Asus mb prime z390-a, i5 9600k (not oc), Corsair 16gb ram (I'm sure they are in the right place, 2 and 4 slot), 2060 rtx gpu, 480gb SanDisk, 2tb Seagate hdd.

Feb 17, 2020
I believe I do have the latest BIOS, however it's a pain to navigate it as I've never done it before. But I can't even get into my bios. I press f2 or del but it keeps showing that black screen with the text on it

may need to enable legacy boot or CSM.
also check to make sure the SATA port (assume it's a 2.5" SSD) is enabled for AHCI

Hi, I just restarted it after I got the blue screen and this what happens. It's just an endless loop of this now where if I hit control alt delete, it just asks for it again. Images my specs are Asus mb prime z390-a, i5 9600k (not oc), Corsair 16gb ram (I'm sure they are in the right place, 2 and 4 slot), 2060 rtx gpu, 480gb SanDisk, 2tb Seagate hdd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
shouldn't need legacy/CSM on a Brand new board. Just need to delete the Partitions.

Its not main problem right now, the BSOD are.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

d/c ssd and that will stop the message and at least let you into bios. Its likely you need to set USB as 1st boot anyway and then it might skip the ssd.

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Your Windows is not installed properly on the disk. This may be due to corrupt Windows file in the bootable Pendrive. Try reinstalling Windows bootable files on Pendrive.

Reactions: TejasAnand
Feb 17, 2020
shouldn't need legacy/CSM on a Brand new board. Just need to delete the Partitions.

Its not main problem right now, the BSOD are.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

d/c ssd and that will stop the message and at least let you into bios. Its likely you need to set USB as 1st boot anyway and then it might skip the ssd.
How would I even run this test? But I'll try the sad thing you mentioned

Lutfij

Titan
Just chiming in here to see if some more information can be extracted from OP.
Ideally you should be listing your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You don't need to have all your storage devices connected at initial boot/OS installation, only make sure you have your primary drive(that you intend to install the OS on) connected to your board. That being said, how did you get a hold of the installer for your version of Windows 10?

Just for the sake of relevance, what version of BIOS are you currently on? By slots 2 and 4 are you referring to slots A2 and B2 on your motherboard's DIMM slots?

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Changing your BIOS to include legacy won't work.

If there's a problem with a drive being GPT it means it should be MBR. Which also means your board settings are already set to legacy because MBR =BIOS (and GPT = UEFI).

You must convert the drive to MBR then install.

Feb 17, 2020
Just chiming in here to see if some more information can be extracted from OP.
Ideally you should be listing your specs like so:
CPU:
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You don't need to have all your storage devices connected at initial boot/OS installation, only make sure you have your primary drive(that you intend to install the OS on) connected to your board. That being said, how did you get a hold of the installer for your version of Windows 10?

Just for the sake of relevance, what version of BIOS are you currently on? By slots 2 and 4 are you referring to slots A2 and B2 on your motherboard's DIMM slots?
CPU: i5 9600k
CPU Cooler: coolermaster 240
Motherboard: Asus prime z 390-a
Ram: Corsair vengeance white rgb ram 16 gb
SSD/HDD: seagate barracuda 2tb / SanDisk 480 ssd
GPU: geforce rtx 2060
PSU: Corsair semi mod 650w
Chassis: Corsair 275 white

My bios version is 0506. My ssd and hdd are "finally" showing up on the right side of my bios, however my ssd isnt not there. (the reason I have two usb things is bc I made a new windows installation, which I got from microsoft's website) at this point, I can get back to the installation of windows, however it keeps stopping at a certain percentage and just stays there. Images

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Where did you make the install USB? The windows program that collects all the files you need probably automatically gets those needed for the pc you used to get them, which could use others than your new pc for example if your old pc was 32bit.

Any chance the USB is bad? Is there another you can try to use?

popatim

Titan
Disconnect the 2TB Seagate until after Windows is installed.

Reset the Bios then go back in and
  • Bios mode is set to uefi
  • CSM is disabled
  • enable XMP and set the frequency to 2666. XMP should set the 1.35v Corsairs typically use.

If you have a Memtest86 boot disk, then run it and make sure it passes as already suggested.

Then Boot the Windows USB installed but not by setting it as the boot disk. Use the Boot Override F-key, shown at the same time the option to enter the bios is shown, to select it and boot the option that starts with UEFI: and is your flash drive.

During windows install, if your SSD isn't presented on the Where to install to screen then click Drive Options, delete all the existing partitions (Warning -this erases the drive) and click Next when it is completely Unallocated.

If you still can't install Windows, link us to the exact memory you purchased please.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
If there's a problem with a drive being GPT it means it should be MBR. Which also means your board settings are already set to legacy because MBR =BIOS (and GPT = UEFI).

You must convert the drive to MBR then install.

Its not the motherboard settings. Its the fact the ssd had Windows on it already and clearly it was installed as MBR.
Microsoft's error was written by someone who had only met a dictionary that day.

What the error should say is: Your hdd is formatted as MBR, windows 10 uses GPT. Please delete all your partitions on the drive and click next

It would have cleared up a lot of confusion both now and 5 years ago when I first saw error and was like, why can't i install win 10 on a partition it was only just on?

Converting from MBR to GPT is unnecessary, unless you want to keep data on drive. Deleting all the partitions and clicking next achieves same thing, as Win 10 will create the partitions it needs at that stage and move on with install.

Reactions: stonecarver