Need help installing Windows 8.1

Frankenchokey

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
So I've been helping a friend build a PC for the past several months (yes, it seriously has taken this long), we just got a replacement motherboard from MSI and a new hard drive (neither of the other two were recognized) we are getting stuck with this option:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Now when I built my PC I remember just turning it on and using the Windows 8 disc and then being able to install it. We only have 1 hard drive and one dvd drive installed so there's not really much room for confusion.

The dvd drive is an LG 24x Super Multi DVD Writer
the rest of our specs are:
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
* gb of DDR3 ram
Intel i5 4650 (I think that's the model, I know its Intel i5)

Solution
In BIOS under advanced options there should be an option for Windows 8/8.1, you'll want to make sure that is enabled (default is disabled) to start with (found on page 3-13 of the motherboard manual)
If you're using an SSD, it probably needs to be initialized first. If it's simply not recognizing the optical drive to install windows from you may need to go into the bios and designate the optical dvd drive as the primary boot device.

If you have the optical drive or HDD on SATA ports 7 or 8, which are ASmedia, it may cause problems. Be sure the drives are connected to SATA 0 through 6 ports.

Install in this exact manner:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2299-clean-install-windows-8-a.html