Need help keeping certain data when i upgrade to new rig.

DillonJ3K

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Im building a new gaming rig,new everything besides the OS which is windows 10 an my HDD. What i cant seem to figure out or fund anything on is how do i still use my current HDD on my new system an maintain all the downloaded games i have an their save files, as id hate to have to restart all them, plus it would takes weeks to re download them off steam. Plus i have some other programs id like to maintain without having to re download an set back up if i can spare it. i have the disc to install windows an a ODD on the new system. Also if i have to use an external drive to accomplish this task i can buy one or if i need to have a another internal drive, i can get one of those as well. which ever works.

Solution
You can try booting from your current windows 10 hard drive.
If successful, then just install the new drivers that come with the motherboard.

Otherwise you are looking at a clean new install of windows.
You can save your settings by running windows easy transfer.
I suggest doing that on a new ssd. Leave your old hard drive disconnected on the clean install.
Because you will nave a new, clean registry, old apps that used the registry will not work.
I understand there is a workaround for steam so google for that.

If your windows is oem, the license will be tied to the original motherboard.
When you try to activate, ms may be lenient and let you reactivate.
If not, you will need to follow the options to buy a new license.

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
The problem is that your new motherboard needs a fresh installation of Windows. Various drivers are unlikely to be the same as what is on your existing HDD.
And that means you'll need to reinstall programs and games on the new rig.

You can try booting from your current windows 10 hard drive.
If successful, then just install the new drivers that come with the motherboard.

Otherwise you are looking at a clean new install of windows.
You can save your settings by running windows easy transfer.
I suggest doing that on a new ssd. Leave your old hard drive disconnected on the clean install.
Because you will nave a new, clean registry, old apps that used the registry will not work.
I understand there is a workaround for steam so google for that.

If your windows is oem, the license will be tied to the original motherboard.
When you try to activate, ms may be lenient and let you reactivate.
If not, you will need to follow the options to buy a new license.

Solution