Need help keeping hardware safe in an international flight

Celach

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
Hello, next week im travelling to the US and im going to buy all the hardware needed for my pc except for the case and monitor, and i really need help in regards to keeping my stuff safe. Im bringing everything but the PSU with me on my carry-on backpack on the way back (international flight), so i was wondering if anyone could give me advice maybe on a good backpack for my needs, how to wrap everything and that kind of stuff, or if anyone has any experience bringing hardware from abroad and getting in trouble for it at the airport.

Shipping is out of the question since it will eat every penny i save my buying everything there, and i will also not bring the boxes with me so i can fit everything. I dont know if the protection that comes with this stuff inside their boxes is enough or ifhave to wrap it with bubbles or stuff like that. I would appreciate any help i can get, since i really have no idea how fragile this stuff is.

If it helps, this is what ill be bringing with me:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Kh2FXP

Solution

Unless you're also getting a metal case to put all the components in, I'd remove the RAM, GPU, and heatsink. They're parts which stick up 90 degrees from the montherboard, and could be broken off if crushed or something slides along the top. RAM is usually sold in a very small but protective plastic blister pack which doesn't take up much space, so just transport it in that.

The CPU in the motherboard socket (without heatsink) should be pretty secure. But because of its high price you may...

t53186

Distinguished
The original boxes are the best protection. They have anti static materials, bags, when needed and are protected from shock and crushing. You could purchase bubble wrap and wrap all the components. Another thing to consider is customs. You may want to check if technology can be imported to your country by taking it on the plane.

Most countries charge tax and duties on electronics you bring in from abroad in excess of your personal exemption. The exemption is usually just a few hundred dollars. I know most people get around this by lying on their customs declaration form. But if you spend every penny buying everything, and get randomly flagged by customs for an inspection, they will confiscate the equipment when you're unable to pay the taxes and duties on it. If you're going with someone, it would be best to discuss this with them ahead of time. Split the items between your and their bags, so the value in each bag is below each individual personal exemption (keep the receipts as proof).

If you still plan to go through with this, most solid state electronics are extremely robust and can even survive being shot out of a canon (several hundred to several thousand g's). So the only things which really need padding are those with moving mechanical parts - hard drive and fans. The other stuff just needs anti-static bags and something to keep the individual components from bending or getting poked. A hard suitcase would be better (can roll up the backpack and put it in there for the flight). But you can use a backpack with throw-away plastic blister packs as outer shielding (to protect against poking/bending), with the components inside using clothes as padding.

Celach

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Thanks for the reply, that really helps. I'll 100% make a call tommorow so i can really be sure ill be saving money, since the information ive searched regarding taxes ill have to pay is really split. If i end up getting all my stuff there ill most likely put together the parts to see if they are working. would u recommend leaving things like the ram and the cpu on the motherboard? or is it better to put everything apart individually?

Unless you're also getting a metal case to put all the components in, I'd remove the RAM, GPU, and heatsink. They're parts which stick up 90 degrees from the montherboard, and could be broken off if crushed or something slides along the top. RAM is usually sold in a very small but protective plastic blister pack which doesn't take up much space, so just transport it in that.

The CPU in the motherboard socket (without heatsink) should be pretty secure. But because of its high price you may feel better putting it back inside its box for transport. Be sure to wipe off the thermal paste and apply new paste before final use. The pre-applied thermal paste will probably pick up dust and debris during transport, rendering it unusable.

Solution