[SOLVED] Need help knowing what to upgrade to with a prebuilt pc

May 18, 2020
Hi,
I was thinking about upgrading my graphics card specifically was wondering if a nvidia gtx 1080 would work with my pc since I could get a good price for it from a friend.

Processor: intel(R) core(tm) i5-6402P CPU@2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
Ram: 16 GB
64 bit
Video Card: Radeon (TM) RX 480

Solution
Is upgrading my cpu difficult ?
Changing a cpu is usually easy, however we need to exact motherboard and what cooler you have. Trouble is at best your upgrade options are limited, not a significant upgrade and often overpriced for the level of performance. Assuming support from your motherboard BIOS you may be able to look at 6700/6700k/7700/7700k.
May 18, 2020
Changing a cpu is usually easy, however we need to exact motherboard and what cooler you have. Trouble is at best your upgrade options are limited, not a significant upgrade and often overpriced for the level of performance. Assuming support from your motherboard BIOS you may be able to look at 6700/6700k/7700/7700k.
How do I check what motherboard and cooler I have? sorry I bought this computer when I was younger and wish I really understood the parts and built it myself.

May 18, 2020
I think my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-B150M

I think my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-B150M
Ok the cpu's I suggested are compatible https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B150M-D3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

However it depends what price you can find them for. They are all slightly behind a current veneration i5 and looks like they will be far behind the next gen i5's so be careful not to pay too much as the performance boost is moderate. As for cpu cooler you can only tell by looking at it, if its the stock cooler it won't be good enough for the i7's I suggested.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In this instance, and making some assumptions about your power supply and room in the case.....

Regardless of your CPU being a little "behind" the curve for gaming stepping up to a 1080 from a 480 is going to be a VERY noticeable upgrade. I had a 1080 paired with a stock clock R3 1200 for a while during an upgrade process and it destroyed 1080/60 gaming.