need help loading xp on a netbook

bmx6454

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
hello, i recently acquired a dell inspiron mini 10. the computer was very virus ridden, and even after i tag-teamed it with the best coarse of virus/registry repair software i have, its still next to unusable. it has no recovery partition, sadly... so, i have been trying to reboot it with a clean slate of windows xp pro. the issue is when i run the xp loader, it gets stuck at the loading windows screen after it inspects my hardware, and loads the main software. i never get to the partition screens. what ive ruled out: the computer boots with its current os, so its not hdd, ive tried 4 different versions of windows xp, and ive tried booting from usb, memory card, and usb-dvd drive. ive looked everywhere for an answer, but came up empty. any solutions please?? im about to use this little thing as a frisbee at this point lol. thanks in advance

system: dell inspiron mini 10, dual core intel atom(x86), 1gb ram.

Solution
You have to try with the same and exact edition of Windows XP as the one installed. Trying to repair Windows XP with other Editions doesn't work.. With a different Edition your only option is to format.

1. First of all, make sure you have the same edition as that which is installed.

2. Loged on to Windows XP, insert the Windows XP installation files (in a USB drive, memory card, or DVD drive), and in the Start / Run command or Command Prompt window type; "SFC /SCANNOW" (without quotes) and press Enter... The System File Checker (SFC) will scan the Win XP OS for missing or corrupted system files and replace them from the installation source.

The problem should be solved but in the remote case it's not, try again a repair install...
You have to try with the same and exact edition of Windows XP as the one installed. Trying to repair Windows XP with other Editions doesn't work.. With a different Edition your only option is to format.

1. First of all, make sure you have the same edition as that which is installed.

2. Loged on to Windows XP, insert the Windows XP installation files (in a USB drive, memory card, or DVD drive), and in the Start / Run command or Command Prompt window type; "SFC /SCANNOW" (without quotes) and press Enter... The System File Checker (SFC) will scan the Win XP OS for missing or corrupted system files and replace them from the installation source.

The problem should be solved but in the remote case it's not, try again a repair install, it should now complete having replaced the missing or corrupted system files... that is what probably prevented you from completing the repair installation. Another possible cause is that the virus is not completeley gone, so in case you still can't complete a repair installation, do several scans and include an Online Virus Scan* if necessary till you are absolutely sure there is no virus.

*type this in a search engine to get links for several online virus scanner websites.

Solution

bmx6454

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

bmx6454

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
and im trying to do a fresh instal. complete wipe and reboot. i have access to every version of xp, but thats not the issue. the issue, like i said, is after it loads all the drivers, the screen just says "setup is loading windows" and nothing ive tried will change that!! this P.O.S. is about to go through the window.

TRENDING THREADS