Question Need help looking for a completely silent motherboard (9700k)

fayaflai

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to a 9700k and I noticed that my gigabyte z390 gaming x made some pretty annoying noises. I assume this was coil whine but I could not fix it by disabling C-states. I returned this motherboard and got a gigabyte z390 ud. While this one is more silent, the noises are still there. I did some listening and its 100% coming from the motherboard area that's next to the IO shield. it sounds kinda like this
View: https://youtu.be/x2QyencCA8k?t=2m11s

It's not THAT bad, but I have very silent fans and I am personally very quickly annoyed by high pitched sounds. I also switched to another case that's supposed to be silent but it doesn't make that much of a difference.
Are there motherboards for the 9700k that are known to be silent, or should I just return the motherboard for a new one until I get lucky and get one that's silent?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to a 9700k and I noticed that my gigabyte z390 gaming x made some pretty annoying noises. I assume this was coil whine but I could not fix it by disabling C-states. I returned this motherboard and got a gigabyte z390 ud. While this one is more silent, the noises are still there. I did some listening and its 100% coming from the motherboard area that's next to the IO shield. it sounds kinda like this
View: https://youtu.be/x2QyencCA8k?t=2m11s

It's not THAT bad, but I have very silent fans and I am personally very quickly annoyed by high pitched sounds. I also switched to another case that's supposed to be silent but it doesn't make that much of a difference.
Are there motherboards for the 9700k that are known to be silent, or should I just return the motherboard for a new one until I get lucky and get one that's silent?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
Maybe you should try not buying a cheap motherboard with a 9700k. You actually downgraded and expected a better product? A Gigabyte gaming x is one of the best budget Z390 boards but my limit would be a 9600k for a board like that. It’s most likely the VRM being stressed. I’d get an Aorous Pro at a minimum and recommend an Aorous Ultra.

fayaflai

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
Maybe you should try not buying a cheap motherboard with a 9700k. You actually downgraded and expected a better product? A Gigabyte gaming x is one of the best budget Z390 boards but my limit would be a 9600k for a board like that. It’s most likely the VRM being stressed. I’d get an Aorous Pro at a minimum and recommend an Aorous Ultra.

I might have downgraded, but the UD is better than the gaming x in terms of noise/coil whine. My previous mobo's were not very expensive either and I never had any sound issues with those.

PCpartpicker also lists the z390 ud in many of its builds (also in its 9700k build) so I figured it must've been a good basic mobo. The reason why I went "cheap" is because I don't need any special features. I don't care about looks and all i need is the basic <Mod Edit> + being able to change the CPU clock speed. Nothing else. I thought the VRM's were good enough where it shouldn't be an issue.

Someone else just now also recommended me to get an Aorus Pro so I'll probably get one of those. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have downgraded, but the UD is better than the gaming x in terms of noise/coil whine. My previous mobo's were not very expensive either and I never had any sound issues with those.

PCpartpicker also lists the z390 ud in many of its builds (also in its 9700k build) so I figured it must've been a good basic mobo. The reason why I went "cheap" is because I don't need any special features. I don't care about looks and all i need is the basic <Mod Edit>+ being able to change the CPU clock speed. Nothing else. I thought the VRM's were good enough where it shouldn't be an issue.

Someone else just now also recommended me to get an Aorus Pro so I'll probably get one of those. Thanks.
It’s not about the features and such, it’s about wattage running through the VRM. A 9700k pushes around 200 watts at full load and even more of overclocking is involved. The gaming x and UD are probably fine for 95-125 watts of a 9600k as I said. Think of it as putting a mustang v8 in a Prius, you won’t get the same performance. Aorous pro should do well.

Last edited by a moderator:

fayaflai

Reputable
Nov 28, 2019
It’s not about the features and such, it’s about wattage running through the VRM. A 9700k pushes around 200 watts at full load and even more of overclocking is involved. The gaming x and UD are probably fine for 95-125 watts of a 9600k as I said. Think of it as putting a mustang v8 in a Prius, you won’t get the same performance. Aorous pro should do well.

Alright man. Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up an Aorus pro soon and return the UD. Luckily where I live you can return any product bought online within 14 days and get a full refund :)

TRENDING THREADS