Need help - Low FPS when gaming

Jun 19, 2018
I really need help right now. It's been about 4 months now that my computer have slowed down considerably. This is a budget gaming PC and it used to be fine until February where now League of Legends is even giving low FPS (20-24 FPS, in large teamfights, it drops to 10~ FPS) I do not know what else to do. I have made a couple of changes to my PC over the four months and nothing has changed.

Here are the changes I've made:
I have updated my OS system from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Initially, I thought my GPU was the problem, so I replaced my GTX 750 Ti with an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series from a friend. Although the new GPU is a little bit better, it has not fixed my problem.
After a few diagnostics, I noticed that my HDD drive was getting old and it might have had some technical issues. So I bought a new SSD and installed it on my PC, but once again it has not solved the problem.
I tried the UserBenchmark diagnostic and it said that my CPU is what's causing the bottleneck. I initially had an AMD FX 6300 and upgraded it to an AMD FX 8350. But once again, my computer remains slow.
What was bothering me is my CPU frequency was stuck at 1.36 GHz. After looking through the forums, I've managed to change it to 4.00 GHz (AMD FX 8350 base speed) but I still don't see a difference.

I have never overclocked my computer, so I don't think any parts of my PC is fried. I really do not know what else to do and I'm hoping anyone can help me solve this issue.

Specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 2x4GB
Motherboard: MSI 970 gaming
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Like Intel, AMD have their own energy saving system* that underclocks the cpu, and only boosts it back to stock when it senses it needs to; this does not work in games, as it wont boost enough to get smooth gameplay, so switch it off in the BIOS; do the same with "Turbo mode" and the various power saving features; then manually overclock the cpu to whatever it can take at stock voltages; the FX6 will go higher here, with a voltage boost it will reach around 5GHz.

*This might be where the "stuck at 1.36GHz" comes from.

Sadly, unless the game can use more cores, the difference between the FX6 and FX8 cpu's is non-existent at stock speeds.

Jun 19, 2018

I have never actually overclocked because I've read many posts saying it should be avoided if I have a stock cooler. So I'm not quite sure how overclocking works lol