Need help moving everything to a new HDD

RumbleGear

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Okay so here's the scoop, right now I have a 500gb hdd with all my files, music, games, everything. I just received my 1tb hdd in the mail, the plan was to give my 500gb hdd to my Dad, so I want to move EVERYTHING over as if nothing has changed, with the only difference of course being that I have an extra 500gb's of space. I have a general idea of how to do this but I just want to make sure that I don't mess anything up. How would I go about doing this properly?

Thanks. :)

Plug in the new 1TB along with your 500GB.

Download and install Macrium Reflect. Once installed you want to select your 500GB and Clone the disk to the new 1TB and let it clone.

Remove old drive, and connect 1TB in the sata port it was plugged into and boot up.

If you 1TB is still showing 500 GB of space do this.

Right click on My Computer/ This Computer and then go to Manage
click on Disk management on the left
You will see your hard drive on the right with about 431 GB free (Will have a black bar over it). Right click on your C Drive (The part with the blue bar) and then click on extend volume. Just click next on though everything. Once done you will have your one big 1TB (well 931GB formatted)

RumbleGear

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Hmmm, everything seemed to have worked fine up until this point. I see Windows C with the blue bar, and I see 465.75 GB Unallocated with the black bar. I right clicked the C drive but Extend Volume seems to be grayed out. I only have shrink volume...

Ah yes there is the Recovery Partition. I really hate it when they put it at the end like that. It makes stuff like this a bit more difficult.

Ok so now that i know this let start over.

Make sure you are booted off the 500GB drive.

Then delete all the partitions on the 1Tb drive. Once that is done go ahead and open up Reflect again. Click on image this drive (500gb) and select the 1Tb as the destination drive.

Now for the partitions part. Make sure all partitions are deleted from the 1TB. if not select them and his the Delete existing partition. Now on the Source part at the top UNCHECK the box to the far left of the partitions. It should then uncheck all the partition boxes.

Now this is what you want to do. Click and drag the 350MB FAT32 part first from the top to the bottom. It should add that. Then do the same for your Windows part. Down on the bottom part click on it and then click on the Restored Partition properties on it. Now you have partition size and free space size. Make sure Free space is set to GB from the drop down box. Now delete what ever is in the box and then put in 10 so that it leaves 10 GB free and ok. now you should have your C drive to be like 920Gb or so. Now take the recovery and drag it to the end. Then click on that one and then click on restored partition properties. make the free space 0 so.

Now it should have a 350 MB FAT32, then a 920 or so GB C Drive, and then a 10GB recovery.

Then in finish and clone it.

RumbleGear

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Okay I deleted the partitions so now Disk 1 is one black bar of unallocated space.

But when I went back to Macrium to image this disk there was no option to make the 1tb hdd the destination.

RumbleGear

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
Oh dear... Thank you for being patient with me but I seem to have run into another problem! It was all going good until I hit clone and it stops and says Error broken pipe or something. What could possibly be wrong now?