Need help! My ram is not running correctly

Taylor Jones

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello to you all

About a month ago now i built a new gaming PC. I spent top dollar trying to get the best parts that i could afford.
My specs are:
I7 4770k
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
NZXT 440h case
8 (2x4) gig ripjaw cas9 9-10-9 1866mhz
Gigabyte 780ti ghz eddition
h80i corsair cooler
Notctua fans throughout
Windows 8.1 64bit

My problem is that my ram is not using all of the 8 gig even when i run prime95 or other apps or games like BF4 witch usually uses at least 4 gig. just under half the ram is being used and it should be using much more.

As you can see on my screen shot all the ram is recognized by windows and the motherboard but only half really is being used and it will never go above that no matter what i do.

http://imageshack.com/a/img853/2955/5duz.png

I have been trying to figure this out for a week now and have looked all over the net and cant find any help.
It is not the same problem that alot of people are having where only some of their ram is usable, mine says all is usable. I have gone in to msconfig and made sure the maximum ram box is unchecked and i have flashed out the latest bios. there is no option for my MSI z97 Gaming 7 to do memory mapping because i think it does it automatically according to some posts i have read.
I have also left the ram at 1600mhz but that did not work either. I hve done numerous windows installs and rest my system. ive pulled out the ram and tried other slots.
my graphics card is crashing all the time with (get device removed error) and im about to take it back but before i do i need to make sure its not the ram that's causing the problem.

I am at the end of my tether and just really need some guidance for some of you knowledgeable people.

any help would be great

Thank you in advance

Solution
to elaborate Alpha3031's post, you're not going to see a whole lot of ram usage unless it's called for, & that's the way it should be.

prime95's mainly a CPU burn test. i don't ever recalled it using beyond 4gb the 3-4 times i've used it. BF4 should only likely use 6GB+ on a hectic 64 man server. if you were only trying it on campaign, you won't see a whole lot of ram usage there, natch.

try opening hundreds of tabs on chrome or Firefox (provided you didn't mess with the memory settings in "about:config"). that should re-assure you of the ram size.

your GPU crashing is an understandable problem though, & should have no relation to your ram based on the notice you're getting. if you've already tried re-installing the latest stable...

Hazle

Distinguished
to elaborate Alpha3031's post, you're not going to see a whole lot of ram usage unless it's called for, & that's the way it should be.

prime95's mainly a CPU burn test. i don't ever recalled it using beyond 4gb the 3-4 times i've used it. BF4 should only likely use 6GB+ on a hectic 64 man server. if you were only trying it on campaign, you won't see a whole lot of ram usage there, natch.

try opening hundreds of tabs on chrome or Firefox (provided you didn't mess with the memory settings in "about:config"). that should re-assure you of the ram size.

your GPU crashing is an understandable problem though, & should have no relation to your ram based on the notice you're getting. if you've already tried re-installing the latest stable GPU driver, it could be your GPU's not securely fitted or it could be a defective PCIe Slot or maybe even your PSU being unstable, not supplying enough power to the card or a defective PCIe power cable.

Solution

Taylor Jones

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Thank you very much

I opened up a tone of windows and yes it climbed all the way up.

thanks for helping me put one of my (problems) to bed.

And thanks for the speedy reply