Question Need help! New build, HDD not showing up!

Aug 20, 2019
I’m a true Newbie! First Pc Build, First Boot yesterday! Everything booted up perfectly along with updated bios (B450M Steel Legend 2.50), Drivers and RGB sync. No clue if it’s running the way it should be but it appears things are stable temp wise and fan rpms.. I am not using this pc as a super gaming system, more on Trading side and multi tasking software..

My question: I currently have boot drive XPG nvMe m.2 and crucial SSD 500G installed through SATA port 4. I have 1 and 2 ports still available, (port 3 can not be used as it shares same channel with nVme). I went to add a new Seagate Barracuda Pro 2TB drive to the SATA Port 2, it all installed good.
BUT, not showing up in bios nor is it showing up in windows (disk management). Troubleshooted this all day, changed ports, changed power source, updated bios, messed with settings, research here and everywhere else for an answer.. Talked to Seagate, IS THIS DRIVE DEAD ON ARRIVAL? Do I need a driver? What is going on here? Also plugged it into another PC and still did not show up on that one either..

Thank you for your advice in advance!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Steel Legend
Ram: XPG Spectrix D41 2x8GB 3000
NVme m.2: XPG SX8200 256GB
SSD: Crucial 500GB SSD
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Pro 2TB 7200
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB OC MK2
PSU: EVGA 550W G2
Chassis: Masterbox Q300L

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
does it sound like it power on?
I did check for power and it sounds like power it going to it, I also used 3 different SATA power cables as well as 2 different SATA cables to motherboard.. The SSD is using the first connection on the main SATA cable from PSU so I even tried the remaining 2 on this cable.. Should the drive at least be warm to touch if it is receiving power?

Aug 20, 2019
shouldn't get warm.
if you try multiple sata port, sata cable, power cable. unless you have another pc to test with. I would said it DoA too
I tried it in another PC, hate to return this DOA but don’t think there is anything else I can do. Wasn’t sure if this was a common issue with this motherboard or I missed something.. Any gurus out there?

So in general, a HDD should be plug and play other than going into windows and disk management...

Aug 20, 2019
M2_2 shares with Sata_3. So if you m2 drive is in the first slot then you can use your sata3. Why did you install the crucial to sata4? I’m ocd and would have put it on 1. LoL
NVme m.2 and SATA 3.3 share the same lane, so 3.4 is closest to the board, while 3.1,3.2 are next to them.. I left 3.3 open so that NVme could be used as boot drive.. I tried everything, not sure if there is something with Seagate drives, lot of amazon reviews express DOA drives which is puzzling... I can’t imagine DOA drives are this popular..

And now I have another issue! I updated the bios, and the freaking RGB lights won’t shut down with the PC at shut down.. I was please with 2.10 version and it was working good, now a mess... frustrated..

popatim

Titan
As for Drives. I do my best to buy local retail and If I can't then its a Retail box from Amazon or Newegg (and not a 3rd party vendor).
One time I ordered 4 HDD's and them came wrapped in a single layer of bubble wrap and shipped in a huge (could easily hold 24 drives) box LOOSE. So all 4 drives rolled and banged around on their journey across the state (NJ to NY). Needless to say none worked.

Staples sell Seagates, while BestBuy sells WD's. Both will pricematch Amazon and Newegg as long its not a 3rd party vendor or a Deal of the Day/Shellshocker, at least my stores will.

If you happen to live near a MicroCenter or Frye's, check them out also.